Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The old "All England Championship" match

[QUOTE=silvers;1395870]except by 73 it would have been a "Division 1" rather than an all England [/QUOTE
    Yes , a long time ago, memory plays tricks after so long.

In terms of Kudos I don't differentiate - and anyway it was firmly embedded with 4 or 5 divisions by the time I was competing so I don't know any better. 80 teams of 12 was still a pretty huge match compared to these days.

I'm lucky to have known a lot of "national" winners over the years. All very good anglers but I don't think any of them were absolutely top drawer in the way that the likes of John Dean, Dave Harrell or Mark Pollard were.

My own best results were in division 3 events on Leeds-Liverpool canal and the Trent - one or two places outside the individual medals. It's 20 years since I've fished a National and I really ought to get back on them.

I have fished the National in both it's formats and for me the original one match won on a weight setup was the best. There was always a buzz at the draw and a sense of anticipation. During the match there was hardly any preconceived plan for a team win, well not with the teams I fished for, it was all about pounds and ounces and a dream draw. Generally the first and last team talk was at breakfast in the cafe, two hours before the draw, where all team members nodded their agreement to the "Plan" and walked back to their cars thinking "Well b*ll*cks to all that, I've got a chance here to win the All England. One big weight would win the match and almost win the team prize. The new format did favour a team approach and the selection of "horses for courses" plus detailed preparation paid dividends, all of which could be conceived as being a fairer approach. For me however most of the inherent "Magic of the All England" was lost forever, salad days never to return. Pete.
    Casternets

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bracket View Post
    . For me however most of the inherent "Magic of the All England" was lost forever, salad days never to return. Pete.
    Bracket, as a young match angler It was a dream of mine to fish for one of the two Sheffield squads in that match---- sadly not.
    Only fished two matches in the last thirty years, both on the Trent, won one, came second in the other - one more ounce for joint first - ouch !!!! Lol.

John Essex has spent the last few years researching the All-England and has almost completed a book on the subject - I keep pushing him to finish the job! He tells me that since the use of coaches stopped and competitors get to their pegs by car there are very few anglers left at the end to witness the prize giving, the atmosphere has truly gone. The last one I fished was 1990 Div 1 on the Witham with 89 teams, lots of fish, and a truly great atmosphere.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234