winter river matches

8721markc

Reaction score
does anyone have any experience fishing the Avon at Chippenham got a match there in November, am thinking of straight lead pos mag feeder, trotting the wag or attempting the pole, I have never fished the pole on a river before!!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I'd use the method I had practiced on the river and felt confident with then stick with it.
You don't get time to practice something new.
Matches in winter can be won in the first hour or the last hour. Be patient and stick to one method.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes. Not a match fisher, but just put me on some half-decent chub water with a float rod in the last hour!

jack sprat

Reaction score
Long time since I fished this stretch but used to do winter leagues here; mainly small roach and plenty of them with waggler, small hooks and maggots the best bet. When very hard I had one result with 4lb of bleak caught well out on a tiny waggler. One section known as 'line of trees' about 6 pegs) was waggler right across for small chub as well as roach. My best day on there was at top of stretch near Riverside Drive (think that's where it was) when I had a shallow swim and there was a tinge of colour- nearly 16lbs of roach to 1-8 on stick float and maggot for 2nd out of 132. Best result I saw was day Chris Jurevicious had 25 bream for 95lb nearly swimming pool at lower end. It was a weight on its own as I was second in section with 7lb including a 4lb tench. His weight was on the feeder. Only one other bream caught thought but that was 6lb. That was in 1990 so old form. As I say mostly roach and a need to catch plenty so floatfishing, possibly long pole (use a much longer line than on a lake).