Fish ‘O’ Mania XXI Final

greenie62

Reaction score
Geldart, from Leeds, claimed the men's prize of £30,000 while Pickering, from Doncaster walked away with a £1,000 prize.

I'm not trying to start a feminist rant here BUT - in these days of equality - how come the men's prize is £30K and the ladies is £1K? :confused:

cb

Admin
Reaction score
I'm not trying to start a feminist rant here BUT - in these days of equality - how come the men's prize is £30K and the ladies is £1K?

I don't understand either why they were not in the same competition - for the same prize? Why segregate?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm not trying to start a feminist rant here BUT - in these days of equality - how come the men's prize is £30K and the ladies is £1K? :confused:

Presumeably because the sponsors don't support it to the same extent. That must reflect the level of interest and return for them. Then you have to consider the amount of money generated by entry fees. How many blokes enter the qualifiers, thousands? How many women enter, tens, hundreds?

I don't understand either why they were not in the same competition - for the same prize? Why segregate?

Angling is certainly one of the few competative sports where women could easily compete with men on a level playing field. However, despite ever increasing calls for equality, it may be the case that they don't wish to lose their own competition. After all, the chances of qualifying for the Fisho final are slim, regardless of your gender. Many folks, regardless of gender, would prefer the better odds of gaining £1000 over much, much smaller odds of gaining £30000.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The ladies Fishomania is attended by invitation only I think you'll find.

On the other hand either gender are allowed to qualify for the final by winning a regional qualifier.

So, the only reason there were no ladies on the individual final was that none had qualified by that route.

On the risk of being branded as sexist (which I am not) one might say that the ladies are actually at an advantage inasmuch as they have two possible routes of entry . . . . into the blooming competition you evil-minded lot!

PS: didn't Wendy Locker once compete back in the early 2000's in the individual competition?

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Also match anglers banter is blokes banter , women might not want to be in the middle of that and be outnumbered.

greenie62

Reaction score
Presumeably because the sponsors don't support it to the same extent. That must reflect the level of interest and return for them.

It seems to be sponsored by the ATr - I thought they were trying stimulate the interest of angling overall - perhaps they don't have many female members? ;)

Maybe an ATr member/spokesperson would like to join in this thread and put the reasons.

sam vimes

Reaction score
It seems to be sponsored by the ATr - I thought they were trying stimulate the interest of angling overall - perhaps they don't have many female members? ;)

Maybe an ATr member/spokesperson would like to join in this thread and put the reasons.

I understand that it's an ATr competition, i.e. run to their rules and under their auspices. However, that's not the same as them being sponsors. Betway, Matchroom Sports, Skysports, Cudmore Fisheries and Get Hooked On Fishing are listed as sponsors.

Event | FishOMania

greenie62

Reaction score
I understand that it's an ATr competition, i.e. run to their rules and under their auspices. However, that's not the same as them being sponsors. Betway, Matchroom Sports, Skysports, Cudmore Fisheries and Get Hooked On Fishing are listed as sponsors.

Thanks Sam,

That goes some way to explaining it - as does Peter's reply:
The ladies Fishomania is attended by invitation only I think you'll find.
On the other hand either gender are allowed to qualify for the final by winning a regional qualifier.

'Sfunny how similar arguements didn't work for the Wimbledon organisers all those years ago! ;):rolleyes:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I think that Fishomania is only run/organised under the auspices of the Angling Trust while the main partner is Matchroom Promotions.

Here are the financial results (from the A.Tr's website) showing the income and dispersal of funds:

Angling Trust Organisation for Anglers

Fishomania is significantly different from all other Angling Trust organised events, in that it is run in conjunction with a third party and is the single largest competition run by our team. A significant part of the direct costs of Fishomania is a fee paid to Matchroom, although in return our agreement with Matchroom does lead to a significant recovery of the Competitions Team’s time in taking all those 4,000+ bookings and marketing the competition!

Fishomania 2013
Income
Actual Entry fees £60,100.00
Pools £0.00
Sponsorship £0.00
Other £4,050.00
Total Income £64,150.00

Expenditure
Cash Prizes (paid by Angling Trust) £0.00
Trophies & medals £0.00
Pools £0.00
Peg Fees & HQ £11,553.72