Seat boxes.... a quandary

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Well.... I've been through a few and only 1 did what I wanted it to do.... sadly in a misguided decision I sold it a couple of years back.... My old Fox 4 drawer canal box was great but now it's gone..... I tried a Milo Tardis... waaaaaay too heavy.... gone... I replaced it with a Maver MXi3 series.... what a pile of badly rivetted cack that was... the wheel bar fell off first time I used it.... the footplate weighed a stone on it's own and the rivets loosened off making the box "wiggly" .... gone...

enter a small and well put together little box called a Daiwa SB50.... no external legs and the underseat unit is a ****** to get stuff out of whilst perched on it, can't put a footplate on it so it's appeal is somewhat limited.... looks like it's on it's way out.....

So... what's next....? it looks like I'm going to have to dig deep for something that does what I want.... I'm looking for something with 4 drawers either side or front, footplate that is removable, solid chassis, (no removable drawer units under the seat.. ie cassette stylee) preferably under £200.... Oh and able to take a load of Prestons off/on-box accessories, so 20mm square or 25mm round legs.... any suggestions....?

B

binka

It's years since I had a seat box or did any pole fishing but when I did I had one of these after seeing 'em in Fosters of Birmingham and being impressed with 'em, I don't hear 'em mentioned that much but I was really chuffed with mine and it did me good for a few seasons and it has the 25mm round legs... One of the few sit on bits of kit that I never managed to wreck.

Anything in this range that's of interest, there's plenty to choose from in your price range?

Matchbox Tackle - SX Seat Box

mccn

Reaction score
Hi there Arthur,

Some say that a seatbox is just something that sit on, so why get anything decent?? What a load of rubbish, your gonna be sitting on that for hours on end and want everything easy to hand. All the boxes you have mentioned are Chinese built rubbish. Matchbox are British made and do all the things you are looking for: Removable footplate, 4 front drawers (with little trays inside that are very handy or removable if you so wish), 25mm round legs (that do NOT slip), plus all this is within your price range.

Basically i would much rather have 2 of these that would probably last me all my fishing life than 1 of these £600 oil rigs that'll fall to pieces in less than 2 seasons!

Good luck mate.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Cheers chaps... been looking at the Matchbox gear... looks sweet.... problem is I'd want to see one in the flesh..... no stockists about these parts....

---------- Post added at 14:19 ---------- Previous post was at 13:46 ----------

:eek::eek::eek: bit the bullet.... ordered a Match box S series direct from the makers.... got a great deal

S-Class3S-Big.jpg

Looking forward to fishing properly now... looks proper "Old School"

pf0x

Reaction score
Looks great. Let us know how you get on with it.

I was looking around online recently and found another forum topic on seatboxes. One very experienced angler said he'd never had a footplate, never wants one and can't see the point in one.

Well, I have a very basic seat box and thought it would be fine as I don't fish matches etc. I just got it for occasional waggler fishing. What was the first thing I noticed when I sat down? "I wish I had a footplate!" How can you sit comfortably on a sloping bank without one? Most banks slope down to the water edge, no? Once I've adjusted the legs to level the box my legs dangle off the end!

I know someone says this on every topic but ebay is worth a look. There are some very good quality but 'unfashionable' ones that turn up. But I agree, it's nicer to try before you buy if you can.

mccn

Reaction score
Good choice Arthur,

And i'm sure you'll be impressed but if your not i'll have it off ya!!!

Seriously though, they really are built to last, my mate still sits on one that is 18 yrs old and wouldn't swop it for the world. I even offered him a mint Daiwa SB50 that i'd bought for free and he told me to poke it, lol!

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
A wee ramble on......

My little SB50 has done a season admirably....:) if all you want is a basic box it's a brill bit of kit... it just doesn't cut it in the modern match world.... the Maver...? well how they can charge the price they do and keep a straight face given it's cr&p quality I don't know... sadly, as a concept, it was a really good box, let down by cr&ppy workmanship

it's funny because with hindsight I'd never have sold the Fox box, I had it for 7 years... I only got rid, as it was getting a bit shabby... albeit still solid... still onwards and upwards...

I got a good deal on the S-class 3 and I'm looking forward to loading it up and getting out with it.... I popped into Angling Direct in Chelmsford this week as they had the new Maver Box in..... £600:eek:...

Looking through the comics there was a Rive for... wait for it.... £1,200...!!! FFS it really does smack of "The Emporer's New Clothes". Matrix and PI boxes are not much cheaper than the Maver's, although I'd say probably better made.... but then that's not difficult

It'll be nice to fish without bobbing up and down to get stuff out of a tray and having all those useful little PI On/Offbox bits fit without fouling something else...:eek: I can even put my pole bump-bar back on:D

when it arrives I'll load it up, go wet a line and take a few pics and post em up

Last edited:

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
And if u don't like it, I'll have it. Lol.

Not gonna happen.....:cool: the box is the nuts....! comfy, tons of storage, good sturdy footplate, good price and the 25mm round legs take all my On-box bits...
The box has loads of great features, the leg locking screws are non marking, the legs are also extendable, there are net mounting points on the front of the footplate, the footplate has bracing bars attached to the four box legs which will allow the fitting of extras such as a sideplate for margin work, the fibreglass base unit holds ALL my odds and sods, meaning I can use a much smaller carryall for just bait and sarnies, Jobs a goodun:thumbs:

I'm over the moon with it.... Going for a drop of pleasure fishing on Tuesday so I'll see how it performs, in truth I have no worries as just parking my bony 'arris on it indoors I felt instantly at home....:D

tincatim

Reaction score
Hi Arthur, I got one of these Matchbox SX4 boxes over two years ago, and I have to say it's a quality piece of kit! It's still in perfect condition, nothing's broken and it's still sturdy as hell.

It's really light, much lighter than many supposedly top of the range boxes. It's comfy and has plenty of drawer space, as I'm sure you're finding out.

Like you, I ordered mine direct from Matchbox, they couldn't have been more helpful and even threw in a full set of pole rig winders, an extra feeder rest head and a hat for free.

Great box from a great company, I hope yours serves you as well as mine has me :thumbs:

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Yup... it swallowed all my kit with room for more...(not sure if that's a good thing) but I like the sturdy build, I find mine a tad heavy, but then it's full up with gear, so I'll live with it.... It'll either be on my platform/barrow or it'll have my @rse sat on it, so no problems there..

My only gripe, is there is no provision for securing the pole between your legs like other pole seats, but as I tend to use a tulip, pole roller, or my balling arms to stow the pole when not in use it's no big deal....

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
not without some serious surgery on your existing seat.... to be honest, for me, it's not too big a deal, I use a pair of over/under balling arms and I also have a Preston Innovations pole support on the legs of the footplate, so I'm not without options....:cool:

paul_l

Reaction score
I just ordered one from Octbox. It's only a fiver and I think I can handle 2 rivets or maybe a slight mod. If it works I'll post a pic... If not... we won't mention it again! It's going to take about 4 weeks for the box to arrive though. :(

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Good luck.... I'll just mention that there is no seat cutout for the pole cup to fit into.....
MSX4System250.jpg

this is how the seat arrived on my box... if yours is the same it'll need some surgery

paul_l

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up! It's a bit of fun [while I'm waiting...] if nohing else. However I am expecting the seat to look like this, but who knows!
SC3B-1024.jpg

flightliner

Reaction score
A2S, I dont use poles for my fishing and my box reflects the fact.
Built with plywood in '73, its got internal adjustable feet, a seperate internal seat used when feederfishing which enables me to lean back against upturned lid (so comfy) , a carrying strap thats fitted at the two rear corners so its less likely to slip off the shoulders, and, the "piece de resistance" holes in the bottom so when I'm stood stick floating on the Trent and the tide catches me out it empties when it goes down(lol).
Its big- and I mean big, a perfect tray/shelf for bits and bats when stood in the river margins, no need for net bags and other cumbersome extras, in short perfect for my riverwork when I fish for smaller species.
£1200 for a modern box:eek:, mine cost me 30p for the hinges, love it;).
That said if I was to go into match angling on todays waters I figure like yourself that a modern box would perhaps be more advantages.:)
ps-- hope you enjoy your new one.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score

Loving it..... I'm a definite convert..... buy British

the sharp eyed amongst you will notice the last pic had my setup t'other way round.... I tried the orthodox way and got into a state, so back to being a Cack-Handed b*gger it works for me I s'pose:cool::wh:eek:mg: