Match Luggage

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Is it just me or do you think that the Match luggage manufacturers are missing a trick....? let me explain....

I match fish... not seriously (well as seriously as a keen clubbie gets at the sniff of a bit o' coin) but when it comes to my rods I feel that the makers are missing out on a group of anglers... my usual rod holdall contents are as follows...
2x11' commy rods (waggler and feeder)
1x8' compact feeder '
1x 12' float rod (for a bit o river trotting)
so tha'ts 4 rods...

(All the rods are left assembled and ready to rock, to save time setting up)

1x11m pole and 1 tube with spare top sections
Brolly
Feeder arm
Landing net
couple of bankstix...

Basically a Clubbies setup for small knockups and the odd open)

I've searched hard and the only thing I can find to get close to housing my kit safely is a Carp holdall... Namely a JRC 3 rod padded rod bag... but even that leaves me with a rod & reel wedged into a a pocket with another rod

I think that the match gear manufacturers are missing out potential sales and we anglers are needlessly putting our gear at risk of damage... I've seen carp holdalls that house 6 rods.... surely with the advent of bomb, feeder, waggler & float rods there must be an option for anglers to house all their long gear in one place making it easier to transport in a car and on the bank....? or have I missed something

sam vimes

Reaction score
Matrix Azur Rod Holder 1.9m Luggage | BobCo Fishing Tackle, Leeds

https://www.prestoninnovations.com/Products/Luggage/Monster-Hardcase/PMLUG07-Monster-22-Rod-Holdalls

They do exist, I've even seen them in the odd shop. However, they look humungous to me. I certainly wouldn't want one. I suspect that the reason that there aren't too many about, and why most manufacturers don't bother (or don't bother for long) is that they don't sell particularly well. The Matrix one linked looks like it has been discontinued.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Many thanks for the links... unf' they have no provision for the pole tubes or the brollies/banksticks... looks like I'm stuck with the carp holdall for the time being

sam vimes

Reaction score
I doubt you'll ever find a holdall for four made up rods and a pole, plus brolly, banksticks and landing net. There are plenty that will hold much more than that, but not with four made up rods.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Many thanks for the links... unf' they have no provision for the pole tubes or the brollies/banksticks... looks like I'm stuck with the carp holdall for the time being

It depends on if you are prepared to pay for one of these:

https://www.prestoninnovations.com/Products/Luggage/Monster-Hardcase/PMLUG04-Monster-Double-Holdall

I have had mine for several seasons now and find it provides space for everything, rods poles and spare top 3's and 4's and all protected inside the Hardcase.

A word of warning though, when fully packed it is not the lightest to carry . . . . . .

chrissh

Reaction score
I have the korum all-rounder holdall it can take up to 5 rods i can keep 3 unmade and 2 made up (1 each side) also has a brolly pocket & bank stick net pocket

Carries up to five rods. Also suitable for poles.
Padded protection to keep rods safe
Internal quiver tip pocket
External pockets for umbrella / landing net and bank sticks
Adjustable padded shoulder strap and carry handle
40cm wide x 35cm deep x 190cm high

jakson22

Reaction score
have the korum all-rounder holdall it can take up to 5 rods i can keep 3 unmade and 2 made up (1 each side) also has a brolly pocket & bank stick net pocket

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Well a bit of pruning back on the kit see's the rods down to the two Commy rods (11footers)
my 2 pole and top section tubes
brolly, landing net handles, couple of bankstix and rod rest...

I'm looking at the Shimano 2 rod 4 tube commercial holdall but I've seen a couple of poor reviews regarding quality.... any other suggestions....? looking to spend up to £60

cattyfatty

Reaction score
i brought drennan 4-6 holdall
Drennan 4-6 Tube Full-Zip Holdall | Drennan Latest
i can put 2 rods made up on the outside off the holdall with drennan rod sleeve and my pole and top kits in the holdall , with side pocket for brolly and other gear , could get more in if i want.
had mine just under a year performs well ,no problems with it yet.
good product from drennan again.
i do use a quiver as well if im just doing a quick session with not much gear to carry to the lake.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Well I've done the rounds of 3 shops today in the search for a holdall that'll fit the bill (as well as the rods...Fnaaaaar) I looked at the Drennan offering at Churchgate's shop.... not too keen on the rods on the outside TBH.

Looked at the Preston gear in Angling Direct at Chelmsford... they had one and it was close... but a 10 tube capacity meant it was humongous.... and would have been baggy as hell... so with my good lady playing chauffeur, we headed over to Bowlers Angling and had a look at their offerings.... I liked the look of the MAP Dual holdalls but they only had the 4 rod 8 tube beastie in and at £130 waaaaaaay to pricey.... but the concept is a good one and it looked well made

Fighting our way through the Polish/overweight/fag smoking/drunk and toothless contingent of Dagenham, we headed back home and more online searching and the more I looked, the more I like the idea of the MAP Dual system.... They do a 3 rod 6 tube and despite a lot of looking most were about the £70 mark (plus P&P:eek:)... til a look on Amazon found a deal for £63 post free..... My order is now hopefully being processed as I feverishly type... lets hope it does the job.... gotta say I'm gentle on my kit... so it should last (unlike some others on here it seems...:wh:p)

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
MAP_Dual_6_Tube_Holdall.jpg

this be the beastie.... I'll post a pic or two when I get it and load it up

kenpm

Reaction score
You would get all your rods set up and your pole in a Mosella Kompact 4 holdall with two hardshell cases,along with the brolly and bank sticks etc. not the cheapest but certainly one of the best and strongest available.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I looked at the Mosella online, and it did look good but there are no stockists locally... it helps to have a look close up and get "touchy-feely with any gear you intend to purchase... specially big items... anyway the MAP rod bag arrived today, the wife's bringing it home.... pics when it's loaded:cool:

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Right.... first impressions....
Good points first

Looks good, with stylish graphics screen printed onto the material.

Sturdy hardcase construction on the Rods section.

Strap swappable between Rods section or Tubes section so you can use either or both, depending on your venues as the two sections zip together.

Good solid securing clips to hold the tubes and rods sections together.

Bad points.

The interior of the case (rods or poles sections) is bereft of any securing straps/elastics or velcro. (I'll get SWMBO to attach a few bits of velcro or ties)
The padding on the rods section is VERY thin. (fortunately my rods are fitted with Nash tip-tops)

No internal or external pockets for brollies/landing net handle, either inside or out....

Fitting 6 tubes with a brolly & landing net handle in the main tube section will be nigh on impossible.... good job I only have 3 tubes and a brolly/net handle....

All that said, I needed a rod holdall and this will have to do for the time being