pole fishing

hoppys

Reaction score
Being a dyed in the wool old fashioned angler I am thinking of taking the plunge and buying a pole. It would be mainly used on a canal which is quite narrow, I have noticed that they make whips up to 8 metres which are elasticated. Any advice on which to buy would be greatly appreciated. As I said, this is a leap into the unknown for me. Regards, Hoppy

flightliner

Reaction score
Being a dyed in the wool old fashioned angler I am thinking of taking the plunge and buying a pole. It would be mainly used on a canal which is quite narrow, I have noticed that they make whips up to 8 metres which are elasticated. Any advice on which to buy would be greatly appreciated. As I said, this is a leap into the unknown for me. Regards, Hoppy

Hoppy, go for it, I watched a guy take a water apart yesterday while others fishing in a traditional way could only look on with little to show for there definately not poor efforts.:eek:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Canals generally flow back and forth due to locks opening and closing.
With a pole you can hold your float in the same spot which you can't with a whip or rod and line.
As for elasticated whips:eek:mg:

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Go for it .

I made the swap a few years ago great move i still use rod & reel now and then but the pole rules the one tip i would give you is keep the amount of line between the tip of the pole and your float down to 12 inches or less , it makes missed fish very rare ..

Unlike my mate i fish with that will not use less than 4 feet between tip and float hence misses almost every fish , I shorten it prove it is ok pass it back he lengthens it :eek:mg: what can one do when he strops off having lobbed his toys out the pram ... :wh

PG ..

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't touch an elasticated "whip" as all it is is a short pole.

A proper whip is not elasticated and can be bought in lengths from 1½m right up to 10m, and I have a pretty good selection in that range.

Once you learn how to create a rhythm when whip fishing you'll be amazed at the difference to a running line outfit.

As for an elasticated long pole, then the presentation, as noted by PC above has to be experienced to be believed.

If it helps at all, here is an article I wrote some time ago for FM of Short Whip Fishing.

http://www.fishingmagic.com/fm-feat...ral_fishing/9225-peter_jacobs_short_whip.html

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I think that the O/P is referring to the short margin poles rather than whips....

for what it's worth as a starter I'd look at summat cheap to see if it's suitable for him... not everyone gets on with poles and there are some basic do's and don'ts...

you can pick up some decent poles to 11 mts for silly money (ie cheap) look for a pole with a spare top 2 or three... I know Dragon Carp are doing an 11mt pole for £55 with 4 spare tops at the mo, so it could be a good taster for not too much cash.

If you are going to fish mainly canals then I'd look at using a lighter elastic... about a size 4-6 hollow set slack, if carp are caught I'd look at a 10-12 set slack also... fishing on canals can be awkward and shipping back fraught with risk from walkers and cyclists...

buy a roller and set it up along the bank to the left or right rather than behind you and when shipping back the pole break down 2 sections at a time if you can......

the trick to pole fishing is to keep everything as smooth and deliberate as possible.... rushing causes tangles and frustration, as has been said keep the line twixt pole and float short, but on running water I'd be inclined to set it a tad longer than 12" as the flow or a windy day can pull the rig out of position... and when the canal is running then you need to follow the current so a bit longer won't hurt...

Pole fishing from a chair is awkward but not impossible, but if you have a box it's a lot easier as you can add a pair of rests to the box legs, and feeding with a catapult at longer distances takes a bit of mastering but it's not too difficult...

there are plenty of rigs in the shops, some cheap and nasty some very good.... I'd avoid the 10 or 15 rigs for a tenner deals, they tend to be rubbish and despite what the labels say are totally useless... go for quality brands or make up your own.. a roller is a must as you don't want to be scraping your carbon pole on a gravel path.. Hope these bit of info help

Tight lines:cool:

robertroach

Reaction score
I took the plunge to pole fishing a couple of years ago. It's taken a while to get to like it but now I use the pole a lot, especially for my favourite hemp and tares fishing.
I went to the local friendly tackle dealer who sorted me out with a "margin" pole 8mtrs, and elasticated it and sold me all the bits and pieces I needed so that was a great start. It meant I could get fishing with a complete outfit for about £120, just to find out if I liked it.
I have recently bought a lighter, stiffer pole which I use at 8mtrs. I still feel anything longer is cumbersome and awkward and heavy. I can use it all day without getting tired arms and wrists.
Good luck

rubio

Reaction score
Can't understand why so many negative comments re elasticated whips. Bought myself a 6m alborella whip with two tips last year for a tenner. Works perfectly well for crucians and silvers on the flick tip, and has brought in carp to 4lb+ with a size 6-8 latex thro top 2. It's a tele/take apart which I would recommend, but otherwise just like any other whip. Weighs next to nothing and comes along with me on most trips just for the fun of it.
If you do step into the 'proper' pole brigade be prepared to shell out for summat good rather than summat cheap. Most margin poles are suited to heaving out carp at close quarters but little else in my opinion. They are not adaptable and flexible to canals for instance.
£300-400 for a 2nd hand quality pole that was top of the range 10 years ago is more likely to get you enjoying pole fishing at a ranges of 10m plus. From there out is where poles start to out do other styles of presentation. Cheap poles will discourage you from adding anything over 8m.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I've used a 6 mts margin carp pole on a canal and stillwaters with a size 6 elastic... caught well on it.... small roach and skimmers were no problem with light elastics I used it for a long time with spare top sections rigged with different grade of hollow elastic from size 6 to a 20... it did an admirable job...

Now I use an 11mts Drennan Red Range carp pole rated to a 20 elastic and I weighed in 7:14 of fingerling roach at Rayne Lodge 3 weeks ago using a top two with size 6 set slack... (couldn't buy a bite off the carp:mad:) being a poor club angler I can't afford two poles, so a carp pole has to do.... as an example one of my angling buddies uses a 10mt Daiwa Yank and Bank as his only pole and managed to put together a weight of 12lb of small roach and rudd on a club knockup... so your comment on carp poles being only good for carp is erroneous... I suggest you try one with a light elastic... you'd be surprised at what one can do

rubio

Reaction score
I've used a 6 mts margin carp pole on a canal and stillwaters with a size 6 elastic... caught well on it.... small roach and skimmers were no problem with light elastics I used it for a long time with spare top sections rigged with different grade of hollow elastic from size 6 to a 20... it did an admirable job...

Now I use an 11mts Drennan Red Range carp pole rated to a 20 elastic and I weighed in 7:14 of fingerling roach at Rayne Lodge 3 weeks ago using a top two with size 6 set slack... (couldn't buy a bite off the carp:mad:) being a poor club angler I can't afford two poles, so a carp pole has to do.... as an example one of my angling buddies uses a 10mt Daiwa Yank and Bank as his only pole and managed to put together a weight of 12lb of small roach and rudd on a club knockup... so your comment on carp poles being only good for carp is erroneous... I suggest you try one with a light elastic... you'd be surprised at what one can do
Quite happy for you to carry on as you see fit. Try your set up at 13m with 0.5g and see if you can borrow a pole designed for the job to compare both the results and the enjoyment/effort and you may end up challenging your own opinion.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Quite happy for you to carry on as you see fit. Try your set up at 13m with 0.5g and see if you can borrow a pole designed for the job to compare both the results and the enjoyment/effort and you may end up challenging your own opinion.

I've used my 11mts down the margin at full length with 0.2g margin floats, no problems

I look at it pragmatically..... I can't afford 2 poles one for silvers and one for carp.... I fish a mix of venues these days, so there is a possibility of snagging a carp anywhere.... so the carp pole gets the nod....(an 11mt one as my back suffers with long poles) my last (full size pole) a Daiwa Phantom X was okay at 13 mts but not fantastic and that was a £400 pole (when new) and there's no way I can justify spending more than a couple of hundred quid on a pole these days.... (can't afford it anyway) I'm a club angler not Alan Scotthorne ... a beginner isn't going to notice a difference as he has no point of reference and if you are starting out then a carp margin pole, or cheap kit pole will be better financially than spending £3-400 on a second hand one that is someone else's cast off and if he finds pole fishing doesn't suit him, it's going to be a waste of money...

Most poles these days are a compromise between carp and silvers.... the difference in builds between the two is decreasing quickly therefore the "One pole does all " scenario is upon us... all you need do is rig up your top sections with the elastic of your choice and fish for whatever you want... if you want to spend a fortune then go for it, if you don't, then the choices are there for you also