I came 10th in my first match!

fishplate42

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

On Wednesday I took part in the Jeff's Lake Open match at Beaver Farm Fishery. This was my very first attempt at match fishing. I would have been happy not to come last but I managed to bag 15lb of fish and came 10th out of 15 competitors. Nobody was more shocked than me!

I am now wondering if I have caught the match bug...:cool:

I know what I have got, and that is back ache :eek:. I guess that is because I am not used to sitting on my cheap tackle box for several hours.

That aside, I had a great day, learnt a lot and got a free lesson on casting that has improved my technique tremendously.

I have written up the day HERE.

I am back at Beaver on Saturday to practise my technique...

Ralph ;)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Well done.

I remember my first match and the euphoric feelings experienced afterwards.

In fact it was just those feelings that saw me exclusively fishing competitively for the next decade or so.

If I wasn't fishing a match then I was practising on the next match venue . . . . . it is an exciting "bug" to ctach

Good luck.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Well done Ralph... Nice one if you are happy now, just think how happy you'll be when that first brown envelope lands in yer mitts...:D:cool:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Nice one Ralph, considering it was an Open match you did ok. Sounds like you should have stayed on the method for the whole match.
Enjoyed your blog too...

theartist

Reaction score
Well done Ralph, if you can take some time to watch the others maybe in matches that your not in. Have a look at the ones who are winning consistently and it will give you an insight to how much work and prep that goes into each competition.

Not to be taken lightly how much effort goes in to match fishing from these guys but even so a win will come your way if you get the basics right and look to improve each time and maybe even draw a good peg too.

Good luck!

The Sogster

Reaction score
Nice one Ralph, doesn't seem two minutes since you were first on here and didn't know too much about fishing.

Good to see your skills have obviously developed and you have moved up a level or two.
Tongue in cheek, I hope you weren't on the flyer and didn't make the most of it :)