First match, inexperienced river angler

retrobob

Reaction score
I joined my local club last year and helped out with a working party last week to prep some swims on our stretch of the Great Ouse. The guys are a great laugh so when the asked if I wanted to fish in the club matches I jumped at it as I have not fished rivers much so figured it would be a good opportunity to learn from people who know what they are doing. Last season I fished it a few times and caught some chub and a few roach and perch but I'm hardly a seasoned river angler so any tips would be appreciated!

Looking for tips really, I was going to prep two rods, on stick float, one waggler with different set ups and see whet happens. I guess one mid depth and one towards the bottom?

I presume it's one rod in at once. There is 45 mins between the draw and the start I assume to set up and prep ground bait, but what can I do in the water during this time, if anything? The main thing I would hope to do is plumb the depth and make sure I'm happy with the shotting, is this ok?

I don't want to make a tool out of myself, what are some match no-nos? Obviously I won't let my float run in to someone else's swim.

Last edited:

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Pools is the prize money... you don't have to pay them, but usually match men all chip in a few quid, this is the prize money, it can be anything from a quid up to a tenner depending on the match... as a guide my club charges £2 per person, plus a quid for the golden peg draw.... the golden peg is a sort of pools whereby a separate number is drawn, if you win the match from the golden peg you win the cash.... it can roll over for ages till it's won.... gives you summat to aim at... most folk all pay a pool anyway... it's usually only a few quid

Match etiquette, is you draw your peg no, and go to your peg, you may plumb up, but must not introduce any bait until the whistle or signal to start is heard... you can mix groundbait or prepare pellets in this time.

you must not let your float enter your neighbours swim nor must any leger or feeder tackle, if there are anglers on the opposite bank you should not cast beyond the halfway point in the water

you must place your box/tackle within 1 meter of the peg (usually a wooden peg with a number stamped or written on it... hope this helps