Pole Choice

draindweller

Reaction score
So after having budget poles for my fishing career ( had to Map tks 20 for 8 years or so) and having got back into my fishing heavily, with the aim to get back into match fishing next year, Ive decided to buy one of the top flagship poles, now I am in the position to do so.

The difficulty I have is, its very difficult for me to travel and get a feel for the pole in person. Im probably looking to buy locally at Westwood lakes own tackleshop, but with it being a small on site shop do not if i will be possible to hold a number of poles.

I've been reading alot of reviews on pole compare, magazines and youtube and its been hard work to say the least. With alot of reviews bad mouthing poles, sections coming apart, breakages etc, which has left my quite worried when laying down £2000+ notes.

Anyway the poles I have been really looking at are as follows :-

Drennan acolyte and acolyte carp

Maver Elite Carp series 4

Daiwa Tournament pro x 2015 and Airity.

middy nano-core xz65-2 elite.

Just hoping for a little bit of guidance as Im looking for something thats nicely balanced when fished at 16m, I know its obviously hard as handling them personally is the better option, just not sure thats possible.

P.S Also looking for a seatbox, as having mine since I was 14, being 6 foot 2 and 25 stone I feel like ive had a kick in after a good session lol. I feel like this will be a little easier to figure out.

Thanks in advance, for any help you guys can give.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
A relative fished for Drennan and rates the Acolyte greatly, (great spares package too) he recommended it to me but I couldn't afford it....

I'd personally not consider the Maver's, as I've heard a few tales & the experience I had with my Maver box has put me off Maver gear for life
I have no experience of the Middy so cannot comment
A couple of club members have the Daiwa's and are impressed... albeit a tad pricey

Box wise I have a Matchbox S-Class.... brilliant box... strong, sturdy, tons of storage (depending on spec) and the service from Jim Burton and his Family at the Matchbox HQ is superb (deal direct with Matchbox)

draindweller

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Arthur.

I've been leaning towards to drennan or daiwa models so your post at least has helped narrow it down a little bit :)

The only thing that worries me about those two models is not having the side pulla top kits, you either have daiwas inter elastic, or an the old faithful pulla bung on an acolyte I think. I'm sure there are ways to get around it.

Box wise, Ive been looking at the Rive boxes and hear nothing but good things about them. Again, I think many reviewers are so biased its hard to find the truth!

Thanks again.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I have a Drennan Red Range Carp pole and it's top 2's are fitted with side pullers as standard... (roller pullers no less) not particularly light or stiff, but most of my fishing is on commy's now, so 11mts is as long as I go these days.... I'd be surprised if the Acolyte doesn't have the same system...?

Hmmmmm a quick look see finds this so you'd be fine

The Drennan Side Pull System Explained | Drennan Latest

The Rives are a nice box, but boy are they expensive... for a top of the line box look to spend approaching a "bag o' sand" for one.... and then start adding on a barrow, or wheel kit, then all the balling arms, pole roosts, side tray, bump bar.... etc etc:cool:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
If I had your budget I'd go for the Airity. Being an 11 stone weakling I struggle to fish any pole over 13m. I did however have a waggle of a mates Airity and managed 16m comfortably. Maybe a bit too light if it's windy though.

draindweller

Reaction score
Hahaha well its not decided, but I have that budget available. Not doing it for looks though, just being a big guy Im looking for the right box to be comfortable on. Just searching my options.

I think the Acolyte weighs the same as the newer airity version at 1410g at 16m.

Thanks for the link Arthur, i know the acolyte carp pole comes standard with those pulla kits, just wondering if the standard acolyte will, or if I can pick and choose, instead of having to buy extra.

P.S what issues did you have with Maver, if you dont mind me asking :)

Last edited:

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
My Maver box virtually fell apart... all the joints are rivetted, rather than bolted or welded, so loosen off after a short period, and the wheel bar fell off the first time I used it....... I repaired it (twice) and moved it on

Pole wise... a tackle dealer in Bolton called his stock of Maver Poles "Maver Wafers" due to the high incidence of no 3/4 sections breaking... and I've seen one of our club anglers break two no3 sections playing carp of about 5-6lb if it's your bag then go for it... but after my experience with the box and his with the pole, I'll not buy any more Maver gear...

draindweller

Reaction score
Thats fair enough. The new maver boxes looked quite nice but on more than one site they have plenty of horror stories linked to them.

Think I will go with the acolyte as my pole choice.

Box wise, my local tackle shop has a good selection so ill have a test before buying.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Have a look here.... seriously.... they do some good gear... it doesn't look as flash as some of the latest toys from abroad, but it's solid, reliable, and well made...

Matchbox Tackle

Mine is the S-Class with the 6" base unit & footplate:cool: