Help hook link problems

dicky123

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Fishing the feeder against structure. 8lb main line Daiwa, hook link Guru line 9lb.

Hooklink breaking in the middle, not on the knots, or hook tying. Should I go higher, has it happened to you. Soft rod Daiwa Tornement at 10'. Any thoughts pleased.? Hook link about 4-6" average.

Richard.

greenie62

Reaction score
Hi Richard,
Sounds odd that one - is it breaking under tension, i.e. whist playing a fish or pulling out of a snag? - or through abrasion whilst caught on the structure? Might give a clue to cause and/or remedy.
Cheers.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I would agree with the above ^^^^^^^

If the hook length is stronger than the main line then it might just be that you have an old, or poor spool of hook material.

I would change it to a known and newer spool first . . . . and see if the problem persists.

robtherake

Reaction score
I sometimes use Guru hooklink line in the 9lb breaking strain and have never had the problem you're having?:confused:

Ditto - I've used 9lb Guru for 4-6" method hooklinks without issues. Sounds like it's rubbing on summat.

Just a thought - you don't happen to be using pellet feeders, do you? I had issues with mine: the edge of the scoop was sharp enough to cut the line when it was under tension and it was breaking exactly like you've described and in the same place every time, with the line parting under very little pressure. It had me scratching my head for a while until I sussed it out :confused:. I got in touch with the manufacturer (Preston) who sent me some freebies, but I've stopped using them altogether.

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
...Just a thought - you don't happen to be using pellet feeders, do you? I had issues with mine: the edge of the scoop was sharp enough to cut the line when it was under tension and it was breaking exactly like you've described and in the same place every time, with the line parting under very little pressure......

Similar experience, Rob - but with conventional open-ended feeder when using a short hooklength - the bait has gone back through the feeder - as it sank and emptied? - with the result that the hooklength was sitting on the bottom belayed through the feeder cage! It doesn't take much of a rough spot on the edge of the plastic to damage the hooklength when it's pulled through such a weird angle!:eek:

robtherake

Reaction score
Similar experience, Rob - but with conventional open-ended feeder when using a short hooklength - the bait has gone back through the feeder - as it sank and emptied? - with the result that the hooklength was sitting on the bottom belayed through the feeder cage! It doesn't take much of a rough spot on the edge of the plastic to damage the hooklength when it's pulled through such a weird angle!:eek:

I got into the habit (with cage feeders) of pushing the bait into the bottom end of the filled feeder and pinning it with a pinch of groundbait. It stops tangles almost completely and presumably the bait explodes out of the end as the feeder lands - that was the theory, anyway, but very occasionally the bait finds its way out of t'other end as you've described, although it hasn't resulted in a cut-off.....yet. Me and my big mouth.:eek:mg:

dicky123

Reaction score
Guys.

I bet that's it. I'm not inexperienced (40 years) and have never had such a problem. It's not on snags, or pulling for a break just after a few seconds after the fish is hooked. It's always in the middle of the hook-link, so it must be touching the side of the feeder during the fight. I'll have a look and see, thanks.

Had me scratching my head 9lb line is quite strong in reality.

Thanks.