Good or bad publicity?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
At a match yesterday at an Essex fishery the winner weighed in an incredible 1,541lb of carp. Second had 1,341lb after a quiet first hour...lol..
Fished in two 3hr sessions with a weigh in midway and one at the end, with net limit of 50lb per net...

Not sure of the acreage but it has 45 pegs.

Your thoughts?

mikench

Reaction score
That does not sound as if much fishing skill and watercraft was involved! In fact the expression shooting fish in a barrel springs to mind.

It makes it sound too easy and if it was that easy and over such a short period I would have been bored to death( and exhausted) long before I managed that total. The fish must have been starving! That is not fishing in my book and those kind of headlines will undoubtedly attract the wrong sort to the sport.

In my view a venue such as that might just as well give you a net and be done with it!;)

thecrow

Reaction score
One has to wonder how many carp are crammed into the water and how hungry (starving) they are, it imo is a very bad picture to paint of angling.

Its angling Jim but not as we know it :D

sagalout

Reaction score
Round figures 1500lb/6 hours = 250lb per hour = just over 4lb per minute, is that possible?

floatfish

Reaction score
Sounds like joke fishing,Just sorry for the poor hungry fish.
I fish for pleasure,and that sounds both boring and bl**dy hard work.!:rolleyes:

Chefster

Reaction score
Its not bad publicity,no one really takes any notice,if Simon hadnt posted it up,how many of you would know about it???....As said though,its not proper fishing,dont get me wrong i like commercial fisheries,and everyone on here seems to think they are easy,but they are far from it..,but i wouldnt want to fish a venue like that.Gazza

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
After further research into this venue I understand it is a lake formed by a river with a dam at each end and is well oxygenated...
The fish are averaging 8 to 15lb and are in fine fettle..
Some critics argue that after the mid match weigh in the same fish are caught again?

Feasible I suppose.

Chefster

Reaction score
After further research into this venue I understand it is a lake formed by a river with a dam at each end and is well oxygenated...
The fish are averaging 8 to 15lb and are in fine fettle..
Some critics argue that after the mid match weigh in the same fish are caught again?

Feasible I suppose.
Is it Aarons lake??

thecrow

Reaction score
i like commercial fisheries,and everyone on here seems to think they are easy,but they are far from it..,

I don't think everyone thinks they are Gazi I certainly don't and when I read your reports of matches you have fished its just mind boggling for me and half the time I haven't a clue about what I am reading means, I even had to google the jigga rig that you mentioned in the last one, I suppose that's because i have never been a match angler or owned a pole, no commercials are not easy although this one may be the exception at times.

trotter2

Reaction score
Can you imagine doing that week in week out fishing paradise?
Not for me, sounds more like fishing hell

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It was Phineas Barnum who is attributed with originating the saying that:

"There is no such thing as bad publicity"

However, I think it was Brendan Behan (?) who later noted that:

"There is no such thing as bad publicity . . . . unless it is your own obituary"

;)