What's it cost

yorkieman

Reaction score
I've only just started fishing, and up to now only used one venue which is close to home
and after 3 sections I'm not doing bad, but not caught anything more than 6oz yet...lol. On Wednesdays the main lake is for matches only and as I'm retired thought I'd have a ride down and observe just how its done.

Keeping well away from the pegs as not to interfere, I couldn't help but notice how much tackle and bait (couldn't recognise most only maggots) they used.

I wondered, not counting transport costs what on average a match would cost ?

Have to say what a excellent forum this is. I lurk all day reading the bulls...brill.

theartist

Reaction score
If you were starting from scratch Yorkie and wanted to join them in a match it may be better to mortgage your house, although to be fair matchmen take every bait going just to cover all eventualities.

Rather than look at the gear best look at what they are doing and how they are doing it as you don't need all the kit to have a great day.

thecrow

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about how much tackle/bait the match lads were using, as you have only just started fishing I would concentrate on learning different methods/rigs and catching fish no matter what size they are, most of all do what you enjoy doing and if that's doing what you are doing now that's ok, bigger fish (and more tackle) will follow as you get more experienced.

Cost of angling can be whatever you want it to be, match anglers have to cover all situations they come across to be able to compete but it doesn't mean that a pleasure angler needs the same amount. don't fall into the trap of thinking that more tackle = more fish.

yorkieman

Reaction score
That was my idea to see their technique, but as to 'end tackle' used I was too far away.
May have another trip and ask a few questions after the match.

Bloody hell, never seen landing nets used as much.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
May have another trip and ask a few questions after the match.

You should find that the vast majority of match anglers would be only too happy to answer your questions.

As for bait, well, most competitive anglers will have a good selection of bait to choose from, or to experiment with.

That said, you can still catch well on baits like maggot, caster, bread and the humble worm.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
if you need live bait like maggots, casters and worms that's about £15-20.
Ground bait or bags of pellet another £15-20.
Then there's your day ticket for most venues £8-10.
Then your pools money £10-20.

Between £50 and £70 on average per match...

john step

Reaction score
if you need live bait like maggots, casters and worms that's about £15-20.
Ground bait or bags of pellet another £15-20.
Then there's your day ticket for most venues £8-10.
Then your pools money £10-20.

Between £50 and £70 on average per match...

Blimey!!!!!!!!! I had no idea. Serious money. Makes my bread and home reared worms all the more worth while.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Yorkie

I recently had a bit of a knock up match with 3 mates of mine... we have a fishing weekend away about twice a year and whilst we generally all fish for a bit of "whatever comes along", we have a competitive element at some point in the weekend to fish for the winners trophy and the wooden spoon.

Anyway, the last time we did this, we fished it "proper" match style (for the first time)... with a keepnet, trying to catch a net of the abundant silver fish on the lake where we were staying.

We only fished for four hours, but what amazed me most was the difference in intensity to the way I would usually fish - the concentration level was off the scale to my "normal" fishing. Also, the other thing that I was amazed by was just how much bait I got through! I fed a about 3 pints of hemp, at least 1 pint of maggots and likely a couple of pints of small pellets. I still felt a bit like I wasn't getting enough in too!

I had a completely new respect for match angling coming out of that experience, but I'd also say that the intensity that they fish with is not necessarily what I want most of the time, the expression "pleasure fishing" was put in to stark relief by those four hours.

(However, I did win the match and therefore I'm pushing for it to be included again when we go away this autumn!! :))

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Yorkie,

Enjoy your fishing, no matter what.

If you look around on FM, you will find plenty of articles regarding rigs, bait etc etc.

Plus the FM members are more than happy to help out with advice, there are some very good anglers on here.

You don't have to break the bank to get good tackle, and if your thinking about pole fishing, then try starting out with a whip.

Good luck