Stick float shotting.

dicky123

Reaction score
Could any kind sole put me right on heavy stick float shotting please.

Stick float taking 14 no 4.

Does this sound right. 8 no 4. 8 no 6. 8 no 8. 24 shot down the line.

Swims are 8' to 10' deep med-fast pace.

Should any of the shot be together or all evenly spread out.

I'd love some help by any really experience stick float fishers.

Thanks all.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I wouldn't be using a stick float in fast water.

trotter2

Reaction score
With big sticks like that I just shot up with no4s finish off with an 8 tell tale shot.
You can alter the shot size and move them about to get different shotting patterns depending on which works best on the day that's the enjoyment in stick float fishing your constantly trying different things.There is nothing set in stone. Some lads even on big sticks shot up with 8s all down the line
Using big sticks usually means your fishing at distance or your trotting some deep water. I don't use sticks bigger than 10no4 after that I use avons or balsa trotters if needed.
If your not getting bites and you are sure there is fish in the swim adjust the depth and shotting patterns and see it if makes a difference mate.

Last edited:

silvers

Reaction score
Well the stick float has changed a lot from the original balsa and cane jobs. Dave Harrell even sells a 30 no. 4 wire stemmed monster!
Originally stick float was synonymous with holding back .... But i catch most of my fish running through with really light rigs.
Which venue and what fish are you targeting?

Btw ... trotter's comments above are spot on.

mikench

Reaction score
If you are bulking shot why not use 1 or 2 larger shot in place of 14 little ones?

There must be some advantage but I do not know what it is?:)

ribblemeister

Reaction score
In swims that deep and that kind of flow you would be better off bulking BBs and put say 3 no 8 or 10 dropper shot on.
Put the bulk about 3 feet from the hook and equispace the number 10s below the bulk.
You can still then experiment with spreading the bulk out or changing the distance from the hook.
Hope this helps.

B

binka

If you are bulking shot why not use 1 or 2 larger shot in place of 14 little ones?

There must be some advantage but I do not know what it is?:)

It gives you many more options of spreading the shot out during the session.

As the swim builds with regular feeding the fish often come up in the water as competition and confidence grow and the more numerous smaller shot allow more options for adjusting the speed of fall of the bait.

bracket

Reaction score
I have fished the stick all my angling life. The ideal stick float swim is 3 to 4 foot deep, so you string shot No 8s and No 6s, equidistant at that depth. Ribblemeister has it right. Whatever the depth, bulk up at three foot from the hook and string shot as described, below that. My preferance is not to block bulk, as I think that can create a pendulum effect that leads to too many tangles, but to put as many No 4s in as needed in a tight string, each an 1/8 of an inch apart. Not trumpet blowing here, but to consolidate on what I have said, many years ago, when I could still do it, I won a Notts Federation Open Trent match on the Nelson Field, one up from the foot bridge, peg 210 I think it was, doubt it's still there now. The peg was around 9 ft deep and using the setup I have described I took 17lbs + of skimmer bream on a homemade balsa and fibre glass stemmed stick float (which I still have) for an easy win. The second weight was 7lb + one peg below me, with the same depth of water. What this illustrates is that the stick float has evolved into an all round tool made of balsa with a range of stem materials. Pete

dicky123

Reaction score
No secret I'm fishing the Trent. I'm after chub, and barbel, but am only catching roach, nice, but. Last week fishing a no 6xno 4 I could not hold back enough, and thought the float was just not heavy enough.

I'm learning about Stick float fishing, and am fishing it at times when I know I should be doing something different, but hay I'm having fun learning.

I brought the big sticks as a guy I respect say it's what he does and it works. I can catch plenty of barbel with two rods in the air, pellets, but I'm just wanting to try something new to me.

Thanks for all the help, I'll try the bulk shotting, and bigger leads to help.

Cheers.

trotter2

Reaction score
Good too hear how your getting on ****y.

Stickfloat fishing is IMO the most enjoyable way to fish its been my favourite for 40 years .
There is some wonderful advice these days on the net so its very quick to learn. Not like years ago when techniques were regarded as secret my the top anglers.

Have a look on youtube just a random one I picked up there is loads more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0DI5odba1I

theartist

Reaction score
No secret I'm fishing the Trent. I'm after chub, and barbel, but am only catching roach, nice, but. Last week fishing a no 6xno 4 I could not hold back enough, and thought the float was just not heavy enough.

I'm learning about Stick float fishing, and am fishing it at times when I know I should be doing something different, but hay I'm having fun learning.

I brought the big sticks as a guy I respect say it's what he does and it works. I can catch plenty of barbel with two rods in the air, pellets, but I'm just wanting to try something new to me.

Thanks for all the help, I'll try the bulk shotting, and bigger leads to help.

Cheers.

****y, it sounds like your going through a similar experience I had on the Severn a few years back and the thing I learned was that on big rivers some swims just aren't right for float fishing at all. I now walk past some spots where I know a static bait would work all day for areas where the float works. You shouldn't have to go too heavy or hold back to get barbel this time of year as they are surpisingly adept at taking on the drop especially as almost everyone thumps out big leads now. Swim selection is much more important.

dicky123

Reaction score
I'm sure that is the key, swim choice, I'm finding those words echo in my ears. Dave Harrell uses some very big sticks. To be honest, I doubt it matters if you use a big stick, or Avon as long as you have control of the thing?

I watched a guy lose several barbel long trotting on a very light hook link. So I know they can be caught in the float. I'm just not prepared to lose too many fish so I fish heavy, but I expect as the Trent is so clear now it DOES make a difference. Once we have some colour, well maybe things will look up for me?