Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Winders for rigs.

Please forgive my ignorance, but we're do you break the line to put a rig on a winder. Is it just the Tippett, float, and hook that you save. So you push all the shot and float onto the Tippett length. Then push it all up again when starting out again? That would make sense to me.

Sorry it's new to me.

Default Re: Winders for rigs.

You did not say what floats your putting on winders ?

But generally you don't want all your shot on the hook length.
    The length of your rig for running line floats is shorter than the rod length. so the knot does not get trapped in the top guide preventing a smooth cast.

Trotter,

Forgive me I'm sure I didn't explain myself well enough. So what do you put on winders to make it easy for yourself?

If you fishing 8' deep swim with say 10 shot on the line. What do you put on the winder? Hooklength and mainline, if you where are you cutting the mainline, and how do you re-attach it? Surely that's now a weak point, and will catch in the guides for casting.

If not any mainline, I'm guessing it's just the Tippett, float, and shot you have moved down the mainline just to put it on the winder?

Sorry hope that's clear now.

Richard.

Blog Entries

Richard, the best way is to cut the line a foot or two above the full depth thay ou were fishing at.

Then tie a an overhand loop onto the free then, and it is this that you finally secure the rig to the winder with using an elastic anchor.

The hook end is placed in the slot or the small bar on the winder. It is a good habit to get into to mark the side of the wonder with the line b/S and the hook size as well as the hook length B/S.

Many different manufacturers make the anchors and they are very inexpensive.

https://www.tackleuk.co.uk/Shop/Pole...er-Anchors.htm

You can leave the hot on the lain line and there is no good reason to even move them when packing up.

Hope this helps.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

To reattach the rig to my mainline I push the tag end through the loop at the top of my rig and tie a knot.

I know full well that some do use winders for top and bottom river floats. However, it's not something I'll ever consider. I see no problem in using them for pole rigs, but I will not have knots of any description above the float on any running line set up.

I first read about sticks on winders from an old book by Dave Harrell float fishing on rivers 1990 . From recent discussions with Dave its something he still does.
    If its good enough for Dave harrel its good enough for me.

I personally only use winders for my pole rigs.

Like carpinbob I only use winders for pole rigs. With running rigs for the river at the end of a session I slide the shot and float down to the hook length knot then remove the hook length and snip the line above the float. I then store the float plus the shot in the float box ready to shot for the next time. Pete.
    Casternets

Hi Pete

Do you the old shot again on the new rig or just use the old shot as a visual reference and start again with all new stuff ?.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast