Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  43
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Where are all the target boards gone?

I recently started using my old target board again and am surprised at how effective it still is and it takes a lot of the strain of concentrating on the tip.I cant figure out how they went out of vogue.This coming winter its definitely a bit of kit I will be using more of.Anyone else still using one?
    Common sense tells us that our existence is but a brief crack of light between two eternities of darkness.

Default Re: Where are all the target boards gone?

Never heard of one! Oh no is that another piece of kit that will prove to be indispensable ! Go on then where do I get one and how does it work

I reckon they disappeared when the carp puddles took over and there was more need to hang on to your rod than the need to watch for tiny tweaks on the tip.

An awful lot of quivertipping is done with methods that almost guarantee wrap around bites. The number of people looking for shy bites on more natural stillwater venues has reduced dramatically. That all adds up to the number of people actually needing target boards diminishing. Besides, they are the kind of thing you buy once and never buy again. I'll bet that the vast majority of folks with any inclination to use them will already have them. I can't see them being huge sellers.

They're used to spot shy bites on a quiver or swingtip, Mike. In these times, where bolt-style leger tactics are prevalent, they're a lot less useful: you're not going to get quarter-inch tweaks fishing a method feeder. The boards were usually black, with lines or a grid for visual reference and - along with their primary use - they shielded the tip from the effects of the wind.

The Tek-Neek board was the one to have - it had an effective angle-tilt mechanism that made it a cinch to set up.

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

Blog Entries

Where are all the target boards gone?

gone to graveyards every one

long time passing,

Where have all the target boards gone,

Long time ago . . . .

The advent of the commercial Carp venues and the 2 foot "titch" that they give on the bite have made target boards pretty much obsolete . . . .

Sadly, . . . . . .

(with apologies to Pete Seeger . . . . )

I still have one or two in the garage though

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

They were also used with 'swing-tips' - another technique which has largely gone out of vogue - often to shield the tip from wind which could provide misleading indications. Also - it was common practice to place the board a few yards from the bank - so it was in-line with the tip.
    Wading-out to place a supporting bank-stick is frowned-on in many commercial fisheries - particularly where there's 14' of water under your rod tip.

Blog Entries

They were very popular in fenland--- Witham, Welland,middle level,Nene, Relief channel, --- back in the sixties/seventies when swingtipping for bream, particularly the shy biting ones on Witham matchdays when a quarter inch lift was all the indication you were likely to get.
    The boards helped enormously, especially when it was windy.

If you have to plant it in the water in front of the end of the rod then I won't bother as on most of my waters I would have to go wading.

I still cannot quite grasp how it is set up in practice

Target boards my god there's a blast from the past.
    Have not seen one or anyone using them for years.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast