Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  31
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Anyone remember this?

The only 'DAM' rod that I own is a 10ft DAM light leger rod which I only ever use if I'm swingtipping (which isn't very often); and for which it is quite suited.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 17-04-2017 at 18:25.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Blog Entries

Ian Heaps fished with Blackhorse for a time and must have a never ending supply of funny angling stories,I spent 2-3 hours in a pub one evening peeing myself,should've been on the stage...

This is an old thread init?? I replied at the time BUT what the heck was it that "anyone remembers". The photo on photobucket has expired.

binka Guest

It was a feature article in Angling Times (?) shortly after Heapsy won the World Championships back in the 80's and he was challenged to a canal match where he could only use a tree branch as a pole, as opposed to his opponent who had all the gear.

Funnily enough the same topic came up during conversation when I was fishing with nottskev the other day.

I'm pretty sure there's something on Canal and River Trust's site about it, if I can find it i'll post a link

Edited to add: I think the article was during the 80's, I believe he won the World Champs in 1975 or 1976.

There is a reference to the match, and how it came about, here...

PressReader.com - Connecting People Through News
    Last edited by binka; 24-12-2017 at 20:07.

Quote Originally Posted by binka View Post
    It was a feature article in Angling Times (?) shortly after Heapsy won the World Championships back in the 80's and he was challenged to a canal match where he could only use a tree branch as a pole, as opposed to his opponent who had all the gear.

Funnily enough the same topic came up during conversation when I was fishing with nottskev the other day.

I'm pretty sure there's something on Canal and River Trust's site about it, if I can find it i'll post a link

Edited to add: I think the article was during the 80's, I believe he won the World Champs in 1975 or 1976.

There is a reference to the match, and how it came about, here..

PressReader.com - Connecting People Through News

Yes remember the thread now. Also recollect the original AT article. Thanks.
    As an aside , I wonder if other photo hosts such as Imgur and Postimage have a timed expiry or was it because Photobucket got stroppy and started wanting cash?

Ian Heaps won the World Championship in 1975; in 1976 Ivan Marks came second to one of the great Italian speed aces, Dino Bassi.

Quote Originally Posted by dicky123 View Post
    I remember Jack Hilton catching a huge chub of nearly 7lb 40 years ago..
    A big fish then, and now. The article was called the carrot cube crust (if I remember rightly) he fished it under a tree to take the big beast. The pictures at the time inspired me as at the time I was really into chub and looking for my first FIVE.

Looking back is so interesting, but makes me feel old. I'm still waiting of my first seven?
    I remember that article well, even the illustration of the "carrot" . Strange how some things stick in the mind and I have a memory like a sieve.

I looked upon jack Hilton as one of the great specimen hunters of his time and always enjoyed reading about his catches, a 7lb chub in those days was enormous and I seem to recall he targeted the fish.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234