Drains?

dicky123

Reaction score
Are our drains under fished?

I ask as in my region Lincolnshire i have miles of drains within an hours drive. Unfortunately i know little about them, or whats in them. There is a drain again within an hours drive that has given up some huge perch, over 4lb i know for sure.

I'm thinking of getting all the gear sorted for a prolonged session in November when the perch I'm told are at their best. Worms, prawns, drop shot?

Do you have any close to you?

rubio

Reaction score
The little I know of drains like you are talking about suggests there are lots of fish of many species, but as in most cases proper specimens remain elusive, revealing themselves only after a lot of walking. Some of the Rudd fishing in the fens must be about as good as anywhere, yet are hardly tried for. The best pegs are certainly not near the car park as far as I can tell.

robcourt82

Reaction score
Drains are similar to rivers and canals. People fish where the access is easiest and if they catch in one spot they tend to fish it time and time again. The best thing you can do is try. Try lots of areas and see how you get on.

I remember fishing the severn a couple of years back and there was a stretch where you could park behind the swims and almost every swim was taken. The fields either side were devoid of anglers!

thecrow

Reaction score
None near me now but when I lived in Lincolnshire I fished some regularly, some were very good producing quality Roach which were almost guaranteed it was the one that I fished the most as it was only half a mile from where I lived.

Others still held some good Pike but these were mostly to be found away from civilisation the further the better those near towns tended to have been visited by our EE friends and suffered the consequences.

Most drains are probably as under fished as rivers and because some are small they are completely ignored but most will hold fish that have never seen a hook, well worth fishing.

john r stockburn

Reaction score
there are so many GOOD drains I am surprised you ask ,in fact there are more miles of drains than people per mile
what area of Lincolnshire are you in ?

greenie62

Reaction score
The only drains around these parts do not contain fish!;)

Hi Mike,
The drains in the Crossens area (just north of Southport) contain fish - reputedly with some very good Pike-fishing - I wonder what they feed on? :confused: