Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default decline in rivers

i dont know if its just me this season not caught as many roach or dace i fish the trent most but the derwent and the dove as been the same

Default Re: decline in rivers

I try not to be too quick to jump to conclusions with regards to rivers.
    I've had a pretty poor summer on my local. The dace which were increasing in number and size over the last few years seem to have thinned out significantly. The grayling are a bit patchy and I've barely seen a chub since the closed season, even the small stuff which seemed to be on the increase previously. I know a fair number of barbel were stocked (not tiddlers either), but these seem to have vanished. I had anticipated seeing a few hang around near one of the stocking points, but it doesn't seem to have happened. The minnows and brown trout seem to be doing well enough though.

I'll wait to see what the next few months bring before being particularly concerned. Early season is often be pretty poor, especially without consistent rain. I doubt that the weather has helped in my area. In the first few weeks of the season, the river was showing its bones, and had been for several weeks before. Then, for two or three weeks, it was up and down like a *****'s drawers. Since then, it back to showing its bones.

I fish the Trent regularly at sawley had some cracking catches of roach this year trotting caster and feeding hemp, going tomorrow feeder fishing for the big bream had 70lbs plus when I last went , day after down pour ,so come on rain bring it on

Blog Entries

Not been many times to the Trent this year but when I have (on the tidal) it's been superb roach fishing with hemp n tares.

I agree with Sam, the Thames last year was full of roach, every time I went I was catching 15/20 even 30lb / of roach. This year its been a struggle to catch 10lb. However a fortnight ago at Walton I had a massive bag of real good stamp roach, well over 30lb of them, a week later I had 6lb! The fish are there our rivers just aren't in the condition for them to feed properly very often.

The rivers, streams and backwaters here have plenty of roach, dace and chub - especially if you take the trouble to look for them.

The water has been gin clear so it's not difficult finding them...
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

An after thought in respect of my post above - I've been carrying out a lot of dace fishing this season and one thing is evident. If you put in the effort and find the fish in June they will still generally be in the same places now, and probably at least until the middle of November.
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Speaking in general the rivers I fish are still suffering from the absence of chub and barbel.
    No great improvement it's worrying. Continued stocking is doing nothing fish vanished after a short while in the river.

I've not seen any marked change on the tees, other than the gradual decline in barbel over the last ten years. There still seems to be plenty of chub on the bits I fish, grayling populations fluctuate over time but as Chris said above, I don't get to concerned with poorer years these days, these things tend to come in cycles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Please visit my blog at www.jimmysfishing.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by jimlad View Post
    I've not seen any marked change on the tees, other than the gradual decline in barbel over the last ten years. There still seems to be plenty of chub on the bits I fish, grayling populations fluctuate over time but as Chris said above, I don't get to concerned with poorer years these days, these things tend to come in cycles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent you a pm Jim .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast