The Woodbine Challenge

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Found these whilst working my way through my late Uncle's bits and pieces.

I fished quite a few of the qualifiers but only managed to reach the Regional once, in 1971. That was the same year Mick won the Regional to qualify for the 80 peg final on the River Guden in Denmark.

20170818_121647.jpg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ah, the beauty of an old enamelled badge and the history that lies within.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Mick finished runner up in the 1971 regional on the Thame at Shabbington with 5lbs and then struggled in the final with 8lbs - that was the first time they went to Denmark. I fished a regional in 76 on two huge pits at Denham, the less said the better! The angler next to me got all excited when he landed a 2lb bream in the last hour as our pit of 100 pegs had barely produced a fish but the other pit produced some better bream and his 2lbs odd was short of what was required.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Mick finished runner up in the 1971 regional on the Thame at Shabbington with 5lbs and then struggled in the final with 8lbs - that was the first time they went to Denmark. I fished a regional in 76 on two huge pits at Denham, the less said the better! The angler next to me got all excited when he landed a 2lb bream in the last hour as our pit of 100 pegs had barely produced a fish but the other pit produced some better bream and his 2lbs odd was short of what was required.

In conversation a few years ago with Mick he reckoned he had 19lbs+ in the 1971 Regional on the Thame at Thame. I've just looked to see that's a few miles upstream from Shabbington. I was adamant I fished, and blanked, the same year but on the Thame at Dorchester way down close to where it joins the Thames. The match could not have been that big for the pegs to be so spread out! :eek:mg:

I know I only ever fished one regional but Mick fished a few but never again got to the Grand Final.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Mick's memory must have been playing tricks; the Woodbine Year Book 1972 has the full result of that regional with Mick 2nd with 5-0-0 and a B Kisbee 1st with slightly more. It doesn't have the number of pegs though probably about 100. As the 70s progressed and the event became more popular the regionals all increased to between 200 and 300. Those in the bigger regionals like the East Midlands (already over 200 in 1971) complained that it was easier to get through elsewhere.