end peg?

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
Hi lads and lasses.
Not being a match angler i was just wondering what the advantage is of having an end peg.
If the pegs to your right are empty i can understand that you might be able to draw more fish into your peg from them but can you actually cast into the empty pegs?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I feel happy on an end peg as there isn't as much disturbance on one side of my peg.

As far as the NFA rules go.....

6. Every competitor must fish from within one metre either side of his/her designated peg. On flowing water, the competitor may fish in the direction of the flow as far as the next peg. On still water, he/she may fish as far as half the distance between his/her peg and the pegs on either side. Where competitors are drawn on opposite banks, the limit of the swim is the line midway between each bank.

The competitor will restrict their activities completely to these boundaries, neither his/her person, his/her tackle, his/her hookbaits or groundbaits may intrude into his/her neighbours swim.

.... so if one is pegged on an end the rule still applies but it would be a matter of ones conscience/integrity whether it was adhered to...

robcourt82

Reaction score
I think the term came from back in the canal and river days. End pegs were often by a bridge or a weir and generally a flier because of the feature rather than being the end peg. A downstream end peg is always good as there is a lot of scope for pulling fish up.
Not sure about casting to an empty peg, it certainly happens but whether its ethical I'm not so sure.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I always feel happier when matches are pegged every other peg. That way everyone has a vacant peg each side. That way the end peg isn't such an advantage....

On rivers the downstream end peg is obviously an advantage as Rob points out above, but I often think the upstream end peg is equally good.