Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default Re: Ready made rods - how to?

Thanks everyone for chiming in with extra tips.

Been using the holdall for a couple of weeks now and have switched to putting the terminal tackle on a winder which has help reduced tangles during transit.

However, already found a major flaw with ready made tip rods...I've regularly found that I've got the wrong quiver tip set up for the conditions when I get there. Especially as the flow on the river varies day by day at this time of year!

Default Re: Ready made rods - how to?

Quote Originally Posted by brookesey View Post

Been using the holdall for a couple of weeks now and have switched to putting the terminal tackle on a winder which has help reduced tangles during transit.

However, already found a major flaw with ready made tip rods...I've regularly found that I've got the wrong quiver tip set up for the conditions when I get there. Especially as the flow on the river varies day by day at this time of year!
    Check the levels on the EA site before you set off .

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

What a absolute palaver ! This is why I dont carry my rods ready made up and never will.

I#ve never (well, maybe once) had that problem probably because if I'm fishing the river every week I know what the conditions will be like and also because I take pairs of rods in Double sleeves and have alternatives already with me. At this time of year I will, most likely, take 2 Double sleeves so have 4 Feeder/Bomb rods.

However, if the worst happened and I had to swap a tip over I am still better off with the made-up rod (reels on, line threaded already) as I cut the line above my rig, change tips, then join the lines together, move up my rig and discard the bottom bit of line (from join down) etc. I don't have to make up a rig r tie a hooklength again as it's already done. It still saves me time and for the odd occaision (like I said, maybe once, ever) all of the other times when it's right it's well, well worth it.

5. Default Re: Ready made rods - how to?

Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    Check the levels on the EA site before you set off .
    Unfortunately that doesn't work for the Weaver because it's canalized and the level only varies by up to 6 inches! The flow is controlled by sluices and although the flow is slow compared to normal rivers, the choice between a 1/2 oz tip and 1 oz tip can be the difference between seeing a bite or not from the roach...unless you sit it out for one bite from a big daft bream!

Unfortunately that doesn't work for the Weaver because it's canalized and the level only varies by up to 6 inches! The flow is controlled by sluices and although the flow is slow compared to normal rivers, the choice between a 1/2 oz tip and 1 oz tip can be the difference between seeing a bite or not from the roach...unless you sit it out for one bite from a big daft bream!
    That's a bummer then. Only options I can think of is stick a 3/4 ounce glass tip on or fish elsewhere.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12