Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default What Elastic Match top 3 Kit

Hi All.
    I have a Match top 3 Kit elasticated with Middy solid 8-10 threw the top 2 sections only and want to replace it.

On my number 3 section I have a map side puller, would it be better to put the elastic threw all 3 sections and have it threw the side puller.
    If so is it still ok to use the middy 8-10 solid threw the side puller or what elastic would you recommend.

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What Elastic Match top 3 Kit

I would do away with your number one section, bush the number two and use a double number 6 elastic through the Number two and three utilizing your side puller, By using doubled up number 6 when you hit bites from smallish fish it is soft enough not to pull the hook out, when you hit a bite from something larger it will power up and act like a 10-12/12-14 set up,
    Depending on the venues you fish and species you are after I would say this will cover you for most situations, By removing the number one section you are in a way making the top end of the pole stiffer and the elastic will run more freely, Other people may give you a different view on elastics, the one I mentioned is one of a few that I use, Hope this helps

Blog Entries

Thanks for info markcw, it does help, what make of number 6 elastic do you recommend that you use is it Middy, and being doubled up do you still pre stretch it.

Has anyone have any more views on the way they would go about it.

Blog Entries

Hi Bob It is Preston Innovations, I bought a few winders of it ready doubled, or you can get the single strand and double it up yourself, I did pre stretch it but not as much as I do single strands, when you thread it through your side puller, slide on a tight fitting bead and leave the elastic a couple of inches longer where it comes out of puller, tie it of at the top as normal, The bead will act as a tensioner,if it it tight to the puller the elastic will be tighter in the section, and if you leave it slightly away from the puller it will be slacker as if it is set soft, the reason as well for doing away with the number one it should give you a topkit length of around 2.3 metres, which I and a few others find is about the right length.

Blog Entries

Hi Mark,
    Thanks for the advice on the double elastic and the way you would elasticated the top 2.
    The pole I have is a Map 14.5mt Lump Hammer a few years old that was only used twice by my brother which he bought new and then stored it away till now when I managed to get it off him.
    It has 3 power top kits and a match top 3, I have had the all the No 3 sections wrapped and put Maps pullers.
    The reason I am asking about the match kit, putting a puller in not sure which way to go with it with the elasticating of it.
    Why do you recommend using double over Hollow
    Thanks again
    Bob

Blog Entries

I have just measured the top kits
    The 3 Top 2s are 300cm long
    The match top 3 is 330cm which is 30 longer
    The cupping kit is 270cm long
    Has you can see the top 2s are longer than the cup kit does it make sense to cut them back the same length as the cup kit and re bush making them all 270cm long.
    If I take the No 1 section out of the match kit it would make it 4cm shorter than the cup kt.
    Your advice on which way to go would be appreciated.

As you have other power kits, I would leave your match top 3 as it is and not bother with the puller. Generally a match top is for more traditional pole fishing where you're not catching the sort of fish you need to bully and you're using lighter line and smaller hooks e.g. on canals and other natural venues. That being said I would fit it with number 5 or 6 solid elastic (preston or Garbolino) to cover most situations.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the advice brookesey at the moment there is a Middy a yellow 8-10 threw the No1 & 2 Sections

Blog Entries

Brooksey do you not think a solid 6 through that length of topkit ( match top 3) is asking for trouble if Bob hits into say a 4lb carp, it will stretch a fair way, I would do it through the top two of his match kit, and use double 6 in a power kit and possibly a solid 12 on a puller,
    Bob as for your cupping kit, I would do away with the cups, and remove threaded end and bush and elasticate it as a spare top kit, Then get a Preston Innovations or Garbolino adjustable cupping kit, that way you don't have to cut kits back, ideally you should but you will have to see if you can get a bush to fit the kits before you cut them back, that's why I said about adjustable cupping kit
    Last edited by markcw; 12-01-2018 at 18:20.

I do not understand a word about pullers , elastic etc and hope I never need to!Rod and line are difficult enough!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast