carp free

hawb811

Reaction score
would any match anglers prefer their contests on carp free waters

antiquea

Reaction score
Can't really speak for match anglers, but when I'm not going specifically for specimen carp with a trio of rods, I try to stick to silverfish only waters.

antiquea

Reaction score
I know of a 0.5 acre lake with 4-5 20lbers in there. That is canned fishing IMO.

If you catch a 20 from a tiny, overstocked pool - then it doesn't count!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
A lot of commercials have silver fish only matches on them even though there are carp in the pools,
more clubs these days are going carp orientated to get more members interested in joining or staying.
I think the smaller clubs have to do this to survive,
As for fishing matches on carp free venues I would welcome the idea, at least that way it is more or less
a level playing field, no "fliers" as on some venues that a black with F1's and carp,
I have fished matches were any carp caught have counted as 3lb even if it was 1lb or 5lb,
I think more people are going back on the canals and rivers because of clubs stocking carp in their pools.

john r stockburn

Reaction score
too many small ponds have been ruined by stocking "mud-pigs" indiscriminately , lets have waters where the traditional fish live

antiquea

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I love specimen carp fishing.

I do, however, try to avoid them when out with the pole or waggler.

Far too many venues have been ruined by stocking carp and snapping of anglers fishing for silvers.

Philip

Reaction score
too many small ponds have been ruined by stocking "mud-pigs" indiscriminately , lets have waters where the traditional fish live

Perhaps they should have not stocked the Carp and then lose the water to angling altogether as no one wants to fish it.

thecrow

Reaction score
If an angler wanted to fish a "carp free" water then I would imagine that's what they would do.

Canned fishing? Redmire is only 2 acres plenty of other small difficult waters were about during the same period.

I have no idea why anglers complain about Carp because without them there would be a lot less anglers and tackle shops not to mention the amount of innovations that have come about because of Carp. I like to see a Roach on the end of my line but mainly when its on a set of trebles.

steve2

Reaction score
We tried some silver fish only matches but few wanted to fish for 10lbs of roach when they could catch 100lbs of easy carp. We even had some complain that anything less than 100 lb catch of carp was not enough to bring them back because down the road they could catch 200lbs or more.

The whole fishing world now seems to be carp mad so unless there is a virus that wipes out carp it will continue to be so.

rayner

Reaction score
The fishery I frequent is stuffed with carp, I for one never fish for them.
Silvers are my bag. I have on a regular basis fished for everything and yes carp have put their noses in.
The silver fishing has really exploded in commercials even though there's a lot of Ide in my chosen fishery, not my favourite fish. There are also aa good mix of roach, skimmers, and chub besides the dirty carp.
I have much more fun catching silver fish rather than carp.
The only trouble is if I fish with casters I need 3pts a session, in some cases even 4pts when the fish are up in the water where they generally are.
Fishing on average 3 times a week is expensive to keep fish coming.
Of course I could just buy a pint of maggots and catch next to nothing. Fishing would be cheaper but is sitting waiting for the odd fish to slip up really fishing, not to me it isn't.
I don't match fish now but still use match style methods.

antiquea

Reaction score
The fishery I frequent is stuffed with carp, I for one never fish for them.
Silvers are my bag. I have on a regular basis fished for everything and yes carp have put their noses in.
The silver fishing has really exploded in commercials even though there's a lot of Ide in my chosen fishery, not my favourite fish. There are also aa good mix of roach, skimmers, and chub besides the dirty carp.
I have much more fun catching silver fish rather than carp.
The only trouble is if I fish with casters I need 3pts a session, in some cases even 4pts when the fish are up in the water where they generally are.
Fishing on average 3 times a week is expensive to keep fish coming.
Of course I could just buy a pint of maggots and catch next to nothing. Fishing would be cheaper but is sitting waiting for the odd fish to slip up really fishing, not to me it isn't.
I don't match fish now but still use match style methods.

Why do casters score better than maggots? Any tips on avoiding the carp?

antiquea

Reaction score
And the carp in most commercials also have terrible mouth damage. Another reason I don't like to fish for them.

I like carp, but proper carp, at a proper venue, with carping gear.

flightliner

Reaction score
I know three carp waters , I fish all three at times , one is an easy runs water in Lincolnshire, another commercial in Derbyshire and a carp complex near the Notts border. They all get loads and loads of bait fed in by the visiting carp/match/session guys that helps bring on other species to a bigger size than they would reach under more normal circumstances and are unwanted by the mainstream anglers.
A big big plus in my book!

hawb811

Reaction score
some good opinions, i dont mind catching a few carp but i much prefer the other species. mentioning canal anglers there was a match on a local canal a few months back with 147 anglers fishing it, there are quite a few anglers now fishing the canals with often 40 plus entering

dicky123

Reaction score
I do think we have lost the art of striking, with the bolt rig and all? In my case not a bad thing as I can miss bites on the float better than anyone, about a minute behind most dips. But seriously in the pre-bolt days it did get your heart racing missing a few bites had you hanging over the rod in anticipation, a little sad I think?

Rich.

dicky123

Reaction score
I should add I think the commercials are worth a visit in winter (something I planned to do this season) as some are stuffed with big Roach and Perch that in summer don't get a look in. Any experience anyone, winter fishing on commercials?

thecrow

Reaction score
I do think we have lost the art of striking, with the bolt rig and all? In my case not a bad thing as I can miss bites on the float better than anyone, about a minute behind most dips. But seriously in the pre-bolt days it did get your heart racing missing a few bites had you hanging over the rod in anticipation, a little sad I think?

Rich.

Sorry Richard but there have always been methods that are self hooking and well before the bolt rig was popularised, those 3 ft twitches from Barbel were because the fish was hooked, tight lines on running leads were self hooking if they were not where did those handle churners come from? Tow can cause a free running lead set up to become self hooking, fishing close in with the reel line tight to a float that is set almost dead depth can be self hooking.

chrissh

Reaction score
Yes I do like to fish carp free waters

All of the local fisheries near me are full of carp which is shame and can be a pain and being pushed on to the general angler like it or not. Its a case of if I want to fish near home I have to put up with them.

I do catch carp but they are not my favourite fish or targeted fish

I will travel miles to fish a fishery or canal, river to catch Tench, Crucians, Chub, or to be able to fish light for Roach, Rudd where there are NO carp.

Last edited: