10' -11' Waggler Rod

dalesman

Reaction score
Hi looking for a shortish Waggler rod, but don't want a rod to fish 10g+ splasher style floats. Wanting to use Drennan blues and straight and insert Waggler's. On searching these shorter rods are designed carp Waggler's. Any ideas

nottskev

Reaction score
Sounds as if it doesn't need to handle carp, so one of the traditional canal rods might suit you? They crop up on eBay, and two good ones are Image and Harrison Canal Special.

If you're happy with unorthodox solutions (purists, look away) you can easily knock up a short butt to reduce the length of a rod. An 18" handle will make your 14' float rod an 11' one, and I've found the action, for light line fishing, can be sweeter than for a short rod in 3 equal sections. If one of the rings ends up too close to the reel, leave it out. Live dangerously.

These ones take a 10' wand to 8', and a 17' float to 15'.

Butt.jpg

Big tackle shops often have spare butt sections knocking around, if you don't have any old donor rods in the shed.

dalesman

Reaction score
Forgot about this one, Sam.

Want a rod to cast the lighter floats fishing for chub and ide to 5lb, F1's, roach or any thing that swims in my local commies when I fish them.

Last edited:

ian g

Reaction score
I'd agree with Sam , I have the 12 ft version and have had decent perch and chub on it , really nice rod.

steve2

Reaction score
Give Shakespeare pellet waggler rods a try not over priced. Also use them for most my small stream float and ledger work.

tonybull

Reaction score
I like the maver elite. Slim, light, affordable.

I've the 11ft version and its as above, slim, light and idea for what dalesman wants it for.

I've been using mine in winter league matches.

sam vimes

Reaction score
....and they won't cast anything lighter! Believe me they will!

Heavier rods will cast lighter floats. However, the heavier the rod (and line), the worse they will cast light floats. You might be surprised how far you can launch a tiny stillwater blue with light line and the right, light rod. Put the same 2bb waggler with an overly heavy rod and you'll struggle to get it very far. It's exactly the same issue that some carpers find when they buy their 3.5lb TC rods and struggle to cast any distance because the leads they use are too light to properly compress the rod on the cast.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The snag is that you can't really expect a rod, that's ideal for launching tiny floats with light lines, to be suited to doing battle with dirty great fish. However, I'm not really sure why anyone would feel the need to use tiny stillwater blues for commie lumps.

Philip

Reaction score
What about the Tackle box 11foot 0.75 t/c rod ...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Daiwa Harrier, I have one of these and it has never let me down, I have just picked up a Drennan Crystalite waggler with detachable butt and rated to 2.8lb main line and 1.8lb hooklength, I have not tried it out yet but will report on it when I do,another one to consider is an original Harrison gti spliced tip rod with the plastic sliding reel fittings, with care these will handle most decent sized fish if caught by accident, I had low double figure carp on mine,

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The 11ft acolyte carp waggler would be my choice.
I have an 11ft 6inch supero that is another great shorter waggler rod.

John Keane

Reaction score
I’ve just set up a Daiwa 10’ Carp Match Pellet Waggler rod up with 5lb line to fish Drennan Puddle Chuckers for general waggler fishing where there are likely to be mixed species including decent tench and carp. If you google it they are on sale through eBay from Lanark for £22.99.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
They are good rods John, it was a toss up between that and the harrier, I only got the harrier because I already had
the harrier feeder rod, but for the price you have paid for yours I will tell a couple of friends who are after a pellet waggler, how much was p+p ?

John Keane

Reaction score
They are good rods John, it was a toss up between that and the harrier, I only got the harrier because I already had
the harrier feeder rod, but for the price you have paid for yours I will tell a couple of friends who are after a pellet waggler, how much was p+p ?

I didn’t get mine from there. I’ve had it over a year, I just put the sale price up after a quick Google.

riverrover

Reaction score
Apologises for hijacking this thread, but like the OP, I too am looking for a nice soft action11ft waggler rod, something that will handle the odd 4lb plus carp but mainly 2 to 3lb tench, roach and crucians, I have an idea of what is available, but I don't want to influence posters views..... please let me know what you'd be looking to buy, budget is 200 quid..

Cheers
Lyndon