A simple pole rig? Noob here

antiquea

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I have fished general coarse for the last 14 years, as well a few years fly fishing.

Recently I bought my first ever pole: an 8m colmic Margin. Have sorted one of the top kits with 4-6 hollow elastic, as well as a pulla bung.

The venue I will be fishing is a silverfish only snake lake. It has a depth of about 3-4 foot. Have done really well in the past using my 13ft float rod and a light insert waggler.

The pole/rig selection seems a bit of a minefield - with so many option available!

Basically, I need some one to recommend a rig I could make up to catch silvers from this fairly shallow snake lake.

Thanks!!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
image.jpg

A simple rig like this is ok. If you want a slower fall of the bait/hook, spread out the no8's.

nottskev

Reaction score
What style of float do I go for? A dibber?

Try a couple of different sorts and see which works best for you.

f11.jpg

Ones with skinny bristles and tapered bodies (left) are probably most sensitive, but they're also a bit harder to shot correctly - a tiny shot either way makes a big difference - harder to see and more likely to drag under accidentally if you're fishing a bait on the bottom.

The one with a thicker bristle (middle) and "rounder" body will be a bit easier to see, fish and control.

Myself, I really like dibber-type floats (right) You can shot them virtually flat to the water and still see them well; they are more forgiving, shot-wise - you don't have to be so exact with the tiny shot, and they hold up well if you want to put some line and a small shot on the bottom because the fish want a dead still bait when it's windy or the water is towing.

If you're just starting off, I'd go with the dibber, but avoid ones with very short stems and big bulbous tops; they're not suitable for general purposes.

Size? You can go lighter, but for your 3 or 4' water, I'd think 4x12 or 4x14 would be ok. A bit of weight can make a float easier to control.

antiquea

Reaction score
Any recommendations to the exact type of float I should buy?

I like to use a maggot on a size 18 for skimmers - if that makes any difference?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
If you think about the way a bream/ skimmer feeds, they go down head first from above the bait and pick it up, so invariably the bite is a slight lift of the float. In that case a dotted down bristle would be better than a dibber style float.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
try the ready made AS series by Drennan, they are good and come in a variety of sizes and styles,
I used to spend hours making rigs up, but for just over £3 a ready made rig compared to buying floats winders line shot etc its worth buying them, you can always change the hooklength or hook on them if they are not what you require, All major tackle companies do ready made rigs, whether you make your own or buy them, get some with different stem material ie carbon or wire,

antiquea

Reaction score
try the ready made AS series by Drennan, they are good and come in a variety of sizes and styles,
I used to spend hours making rigs up, but for just over £3 a ready made rig compared to buying floats winders line shot etc its worth buying them, you can always change the hooklength or hook on them if they are not what you require, All major tackle companies do ready made rigs, whether you make your own or buy them, get some with different stem material ie carbon or wire,

I was actually looking at them today? Which ones would you recommend? The silverfish and F1 models?

nottskev

Reaction score
If you think about the way a bream/ skimmer feeds, they go down head first from above the bait and pick it up, so invariably the bite is a slight lift of the float. In that case a dotted down bristle would be better than a dibber style float.

Do you find you invariably get lift bites from skimmers? On a deep lake I fish you very often get lifts, I agree, and I put a tell-tale shot near the hook to emphasise them. But on the shallower places I fish, the skimmers often seem to run the float a bit then submerge it. I used to fish a canal for bream pretty well all the time - it was all there was around - and fishing a little dibber certainly got you more confident bites and fewer bumped. Still, they're not to everyone's taste and what passes for a dibber these days in the shops looks more like a carp blob to me, so I make my own :)

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I use the silverfish mainly, I have changed the hook on some to a Tubertini 808, The floats settle good in the water,
I have not had to add or remove any shot as can happen with some brands, the shot are easy enough to adjust on the line to change shotting pattern, I would double up on any rigs you may buy regardless of brand, if you are catching well and tangle a rig, all you have to do is take it off and put a new one on and set the depth to what you have marked on your topkit. Don't be afraid to fish a heavier rig than normal if weather conditions change, don't struggle using a light rig, but there again use the lightest you can get away with regarding depth of water,

laguna

Reaction score
Try a couple of different sorts and see which works best for you.

View attachment 4170

Ones with skinny bristles and tapered bodies (left) are probably most sensitive, but they're also a bit harder to shot correctly - a tiny shot either way makes a big difference - harder to see and more likely to drag under accidentally if you're fishing a bait on the bottom.

The one with a thicker bristle (middle) and "rounder" body will be a bit easier to see, fish and control.

Myself, I really like dibber-type floats (right) You can shot them virtually flat to the water and still see them well; they are more forgiving, shot-wise - you don't have to be so exact with the tiny shot, and they hold up well if you want to put some line and a small shot on the bottom because the fish want a dead still bait when it's windy or the water is towing.

If you're just starting off, I'd go with the dibber, but avoid ones with very short stems and big bulbous tops; they're not suitable for general purposes.

Size? You can go lighter, but for your 3 or 4' water, I'd think 4x12 or 4x14 would be ok. A bit of weight can make a float easier to control.

That's worth a 'like' surely antiquea ??

tut tut

antiquea

Reaction score
I managed to pick up a few of those silverfish and F1 rigs by Drennan. They seem to be of good quality. A little bit long for what I need: will need to trim them down for my shallow venue. I bought one of each size.

antiquea

Reaction score
I've had a look, and there is some ok stuff on the tube.

Trying to keep it as simple as possible, tbh. I leave all the complicated stuff for my carp fishing.

Going to see how I get on with the AS RIGS, and also make up a few dibber rigs.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I managed to pick up a few of those silverfish and F1 rigs by Drennan. They seem to be of good quality. A little bit long for what I need: will need to trim them down for my shallow venue. I bought one of each size.

Be careful if you decide to trim the tip, it is fragile, how deep is your venue ? I have used them in 3 to 4 foot of water.

antiquea

Reaction score
Be careful if you decide to trim the tip, it is fragile, how deep is your venue ? I have used them in 3 to 4 foot of water.

My Venue is around 3 foot deep. Just a silver only snake lake.

I think the rig is about 3.5 meters long, and if I used as is, would I not have to much line between my float and my pole tip?