Pole lines.

weemesy1

Reaction score
Hi all,

Fish with a few mates on a small lake in Surrey. I read quite a lot about setting up 3 or 4 lines.

I get the margin line but not too sure about the angles of others. If I wanted a 5mtr and 13mtr, would they both be at 12'0'clock or would you have the 5 say at 10'0'clock and the 13 at 2/3'0'clock?
Or does it really not matter? Any advice will be appreciated.

sagalout

Reaction score
I would have the short line angled away from the longer line(s) so you are not playing the fish from the long lines through the short lines. Disclaimer : I know nothing about everything, I am studying to learn everything about nothing but until then I would wait for somebody that actually knows to tell you.

Richox12

Reaction score
I would have the short line angled away from the longer line(s) so you are not playing the fish from the long lines through the short lines.

Agree. Also especially if it's clear. Keep them away from each other as best you can.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I usually fish a short line (5m) and another at 11 or 13m. If you want to maximise these 2 lines you could have one at 10o'clock and one at 2 on both lines.
I don't think playing a fish from your long line back through your short line makes a lot of difference, in fact it's unavoidable in most cases.
You now have 4 lines to fish, try different baits in each one, say groundbait at 10 and pellet at 2.

You could have another 2 lines in each side margin, depends how many topkits you have?

mikench

Reaction score
You could have another 2 lines in each side margin, depends how many topkits you have?

I know nothing about poles and the more I read the more disinterested I become but how can you operate 4 topkits(the elasticated bit I assume) with one pole?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
You only use one at a time Mike, the others are in what is called a pole roost and will have different strengths
of elastic through them, or duplicate rigs in case one gets trashed. you take one top kit off and replace it with another, I will take short pole and a few topkits to Dunham and show you,

nottskev

Reaction score
Peter Crabtree has given you a good match-angler's take on it. If you want to try exploiting different areas of your peg, without getting too tangled up with complications try this:

Choose your line, say 10m at 10 o'clock, plumb up and set your float.
With the plummet still on, swing over to say 2 o'clock and find a distance - may be more or less
than 10m - where the depth is the same.
You can now run two areas, feed them differently to see what works, and alternate between
them with the same rig and only one top kit.
It increases your options without lots of extra gear!

kevt

Reaction score
Hi

I do the same as Nottskev, usually allows me to try two different tactics groundbait on one line / micros on the other and I don't tend to fish each spot too hard, catch a couple of fish then move to the other line, lets the fish settle. Sometimes both areas can go quite and the fish are in the middle as they've settled in a "quiet" area

Good tactic and don't forget to try different depths during the day as the fish can rise up in the water as the feed goes in

Tight lines

KevT

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Also add or remove a section of the pole in case the fish have backed away from the feed, the bigger warier fish also
seem to be on the fringes of where the feed is,
feeding 2 swims with different baits will determine which is the better swim,you could end up with
a "throwaway" swim on one side, all you have to do then is start another swim using same bait as good swim
a little further along , the same with margin swims, Another good spot is between your keepnets ( if nets allowed)

antiquea

Reaction score
I know nothing about poles and the more I read the more disinterested I become but how can you operate 4 topkits(the elasticated bit I assume) with one pole?
I usd to be the same as you. The pole can actually be a really fun and effective way to fish. I only fish the short pole, and try to keep it as simple as possible. Leave the complicated stuff for my carp fishing.

sagalout

Reaction score
The margin pole has become my goto method of fishing now, I find cheap (£130 buys a Beastmaster with 2 topkits), simple, easy and very effective.

weemesy1

Reaction score
spingbok 2.jpgSpringbok today.jpg Hope this comes out. Photo's from today.

Just like to once again thank everyone for the advice given. I had 3 lines today, 2 at 10 mtrs and 1 down the edge. 67lbs 60zs total. Cheers all.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
The margin pole has become my goto method of fishing now, I find cheap (£130 buys a Beastmaster with 2 topkits), simple, easy and very effective.
You have bought one of the best margin poles, I wish I hadn't sold mine last year,
Weemesy.. glad we could have been a help, now go out and do the "ton",it feels great when you have done it. another half dozen margin carp would have given you that.WELL DONE

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
If you read the reviews on margin poles The shimano is up there with Tricast and one of the drennan ones, the Tricast
cost nearly 3 times as much, I had double figure carp out with mine, I kept my beastmaster margin extreme, A 4 metre pole that will stop big fish from going in snags,

sagalout

Reaction score
Why did you sell yours Mark?

I bought mine brand spanking new with two top kits, delivered to the house from Bobco for £129 last year. I have had carp to 13.5lbs on it and I fish a small pond over run with canadian pond where you have to fish "hit and hold", it bends like a rod, it is awesome.

A total bonus was that I saw a 2nd hand one with three top kits and an extension for £70 on gumtree. On inspection it is in superb condition so it is now my beastmaster, precious. I now have six top kits, an extension to 10m and a spare for every section. The only down side of the 2nd hand one was the topkits had been cut much shorter than I have cut mine, so I use them for the h e a v y laccy and my originals for lighter.

I have given the drennan acolyte margin a coat of looking at but I didn't think it warranted the extra money at £280 'ish, however there is one for sale on MD for £180 which if I lived closer I would probably buy and try, coz at that money it would be easy to sell either.

The shimmy does command some excellent prices 2nd hand.

nottskev

Reaction score
I bought mine brand spanking new with two top kits, delivered to the house from Bobco for £129 last year. I have had carp to 13.5lbs on it and I fish a small pond over run with canadian pond where you have to fish "hit and hold", it bends like a rod, it is awesome.

I can only agree! I've had one for 12 years, and I can't fault it. It has caught all sorts, including some barbel from the Derwent. The date on this pic was August 2006.

aug 2006 005.jpg

In a fit of consumption, I "upgraded" to a Tricast model last year - claimed to take margin poles to a new level. It takes margin pole prices to a new level, for sure, and is rigid where the Shimano is flexible, but I couldn't take to it, and don't see what's so great, and it sits here unused, so that I can say it's mint when I'm feeling strong enough to confirm my own idiocy (Who buys gear and sells it unused?) by selling it.

Should have got a spare Beastmaster.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I sold mine because I rarely used it, my grandson used it a few times but I was apprehensive every time he did,
I managed to buy him a 2nd hand Daiwa yank n bank margin pole with 5 topkits, spare number 4 sections and a cupping for £50 off someone I know, That was when the beastmaster stopped being used, I have used my topkits off
my G50 down the side and had double figure carp,but the price that the topkits are compared to a beastmaster
I think a 2nd hand beastmaster may be sourced, You got a bagain off gumtree, and like you say about the Drennan it would be re sellable, I have tried other margin poles in the shop to hold including the frenzee fxt, That bent like Robin Hoods bow when up at full length, Didn't have confidence in the PI roller pulla margin when held it and I think tricast are good but expensive.