Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pole lines.

Default Re: Pole lines.

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    I know nothing about poles and the more I read the more disinterested I become but how can you operate 4 topkits(the elasticated bit I assume) with one pole?
    I usd to be the same as you. The pole can actually be a really fun and effective way to fish. I only fish the short pole, and try to keep it as simple as possible. Leave the complicated stuff for my carp fishing.

The margin pole has become my goto method of fishing now, I find cheap (£130 buys a Beastmaster with 2 topkits), simple, easy and very effective.

Pole lines.-spingbok-2.jpgPole lines.-springbok-today.jpg Hope this comes out. Photo's from today.

Just like to once again thank everyone for the advice given. I had 3 lines today, 2 at 10 mtrs and 1 down the edge. 67lbs 60zs total. Cheers all.
    Last edited by weemesy1; 12-04-2018 at 20:24.

Quote Originally Posted by weemesy1 View Post
    Pole lines.-spingbok-2.jpgPole lines.-springbok-today.jpg Hope this comes out. Photo's from today.

Just like to once again thank everyone for the advice given. I had 3 lines today, 2 at 10 mtrs and 1 down the edge. 67lbs 60zs total. Cheers all.
    67lb! I think we should be asking you for some tips! Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by sagalout View Post
    The margin pole has become my goto method of fishing now, I find cheap (£130 buys a Beastmaster with 2 topkits), simple, easy and very effective.
    You have bought one of the best margin poles, I wish I hadn't sold mine last year,
    Weemesy.. glad we could have been a help, now go out and do the "ton",it feels great when you have done it. another half dozen margin carp would have given you that.WELL DONE
    Last edited by markcw; 13-04-2018 at 07:42.

I think Colmic make a very good margin pole

If you read the reviews on margin poles The shimano is up there with Tricast and one of the drennan ones, the Tricast
    cost nearly 3 times as much, I had double figure carp out with mine, I kept my beastmaster margin extreme, A 4 metre pole that will stop big fish from going in snags,

Why did you sell yours Mark?

I bought mine brand spanking new with two top kits, delivered to the house from Bobco for £129 last year. I have had carp to 13.5lbs on it and I fish a small pond over run with canadian pond where you have to fish "hit and hold", it bends like a rod, it is awesome.

A total bonus was that I saw a 2nd hand one with three top kits and an extension for £70 on gumtree. On inspection it is in superb condition so it is now my beastmaster, precious. I now have six top kits, an extension to 10m and a spare for every section. The only down side of the 2nd hand one was the topkits had been cut much shorter than I have cut mine, so I use them for the h e a v y laccy and my originals for lighter.

I have given the drennan acolyte margin a coat of looking at but I didn't think it warranted the extra money at £280 'ish, however there is one for sale on MD for £180 which if I lived closer I would probably buy and try, coz at that money it would be easy to sell either.

The shimmy does command some excellent prices 2nd hand.

Quote Originally Posted by sagalout View Post
    I bought mine brand spanking new with two top kits, delivered to the house from Bobco for £129 last year. I have had carp to 13.5lbs on it and I fish a small pond over run with canadian pond where you have to fish "hit and hold", it bends like a rod, it is awesome.
    I can only agree! I've had one for 12 years, and I can't fault it. It has caught all sorts, including some barbel from the Derwent. The date on this pic was August 2006.

Pole lines.-aug-2006-005.jpg

In a fit of consumption, I "upgraded" to a Tricast model last year - claimed to take margin poles to a new level. It takes margin pole prices to a new level, for sure, and is rigid where the Shimano is flexible, but I couldn't take to it, and don't see what's so great, and it sits here unused, so that I can say it's mint when I'm feeling strong enough to confirm my own idiocy (Who buys gear and sells it unused?) by selling it.

Should have got a spare Beastmaster.

I sold mine because I rarely used it, my grandson used it a few times but I was apprehensive every time he did,
    I managed to buy him a 2nd hand Daiwa yank n bank margin pole with 5 topkits, spare number 4 sections and a cupping for £50 off someone I know, That was when the beastmaster stopped being used, I have used my topkits off
    my G50 down the side and had double figure carp,but the price that the topkits are compared to a beastmaster
    I think a 2nd hand beastmaster may be sourced, You got a bagain off gumtree, and like you say about the Drennan it would be re sellable, I have tried other margin poles in the shop to hold including the frenzee fxt, That bent like Robin Hoods bow when up at full length, Didn't have confidence in the PI roller pulla margin when held it and I think tricast are good but expensive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12