Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No 8 lead shot.

Default Re: No 8 lead shot.

I have now switched to stotz as well now my eyes are not so good. before that I used zlt which I found to be the best. I still have some new tubs left if you want it....?

its these ZLT Split Shot Refill Tubs | Ted Carter

Blog Entries

I avoided stotz like the plague, only because I hate to change anything that works.
    The thing that made me change to stotz was the simple fact that decent lead shot in small sizes were too hard to come by.
    Now I have used Preston stotz, Dinsmore slot shot and ZLT slots. I get the feeling that they are all made by the same company.
    I've dropped the old style split shot just because they are difficult to come by. I never use bigger than 8s, I refuse to buy or use non toxic shot they are a terrible product.

Quote Originally Posted by rayner View Post
    I refuse to buy or use non toxic shot they are a terrible product.
    You're not kidding! For shotting down the line, I'll consider anything from multiple 8's to olivettes in numerous shapes and forms in preference to these horrors in 6's and 4's. For locking wagglers, I've found one type, in all these years, that has a good "hinge", opens and closes well and actually gets better with use - my AAA's and BB's are several years old! Its only drawback is that it doesn't grip the line tightly enough and you usually need no 8's either side to discourage the big shot from moving apart.

Blog Entries

If I use a waggler then it's up in the water, I very rarely fish on the bottom.
    All my wagglers are made self cockers with lead wire, I attach them with tight float stops.

Bomb fishing is nearly always popped up.
    Even with a feeder I fish them on the drop slowly, if they reach the deck I fill the feeder and cast again. Where I fish the fish are used to being fed constantly by those that fish matches, obviously if they're in the mood to feed which is nearly always they're up in the water to be sure of getting their dinner.

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post
    I assume from the video when the shot is "pinged" it's for the bin and can't be used again?
    Yes, I find it opens the slot and leaves a mark in the slot, that is on smaller sized shot, above a number 8 I use thumbnail to open shot,

Blog Entries

for opening any stotz or similar the Preston stotter in brilliant for removing them, after all it's a tool made for the job.
    If I have the time or a shortage of stotz I will remove them and reuse. They come off clean and hold tight enough as to not slide unaided.
    The only fault I have with them is that they can catch on landing nets and slide out of position, other than that they are excellent.

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    You're not kidding! For shotting down the line, I'll consider anything from multiple 8's to olivettes in numerous shapes and forms in preference to these horrors in 6's and 4's. For locking wagglers, I've found one type, in all these years, that has a good "hinge", opens and closes well and actually gets better with use - my AAA's and BB's are several years old! Its only drawback is that it doesn't grip the line tightly enough and you usually need no 8's either side to discourage the big shot from moving apart.
    Kev to prevent large locking shot from slipping, try putting a small piece of silicon pole sleeve rubber on your line, put float on as normal over line and silicon sleeve, put shot on either side of float, and you can
    squeeze them closed with a little more pressure without damaging the line,

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    Same as. I'd much rather put a lot of lead No 8's on than fewer non toxic No 6. But for wagglers I always used loaded so locking is never a problem (and they don't dive any more than unloaded in my uses if you control the cast)

I only use ZLT in split shot for locking wagglers.. They seem the best for the line. I re use them . I do find that with a subsequent use, although kind to line they slip as a consequence of this fact. To overcome this I put a no.8 Stotz either side of the locking shot.

Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    I only use ZLT in split shot for locking wagglers.. They seem the best for the line. I re use them . I do find that with a subsequent use, although kind to line they slip as a consequence of this fact. To overcome this I put a no.8 Stotz either side of the locking shot.
    sorry the only true lead made shot are stotzs pure lead you can tell by the colour lead is grey not black and shiny i have tried every made shot on the market none are pure lead thery are to hard and will damage the line the high-tec lines that come from japan the last shot that was pure lead was dinesmore which i bought in the 80s no 8s from wotssits in notts which i am still useing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast