Pole advice

20lb_roach

Reaction score
Hi ive been offered a Preston GXR Pro series 1600 pole for £400 with all top kits an puller kits and cups. Guy only used it few times from not being able to fish much anymore so its in mint condition. Cant find too much information on this pole but I see I can get It for 600 normally retails at 800. If any one knows if its a good pole coz seems ok for the price.
ps. cant find too much info online think its discontinued but can always get spare GRX parts.
thx a lot roachy.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Generally 2nd hand poles are worth half their retail price. The elastics, bushes and pullas would probably cost you another £100 so it seems he's asking a fair price.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Check all sections for cracks, little dinks at the ends of the sections, give them a slight squeeze, that model will have
a couple that may feel soft, but that is the design, put sections together and waggle them, any creaking sounds will indicate hairline crack along a section, could be on the inside so unable to see it,this could be due to it coming off a pole roller or being dropped as it is put away, Ask if it has ever come off a roller,or a section dropped. I think you get around 4-5 topkits and cupping kit, offer £375 because you would be changing the elastic, They are good poles, Finally sit on a box with it and add sections until full length and see how it feels, if happy go for it.at £400 it seems a fair price,but haggle.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Whatever advice you get on here will be good, but remember it is You who will be parting with
your money to buy and use the pole,Not Us, so if you are not 100% on how it feels when you hold it,leave it.
and I would try it with a match kit as well as a power kit in place and see what the tip reaction is,
the pole would be around 6 years old so spares may be a problem, try Fishingspares.com to check
availability before you decide on buying it. Its Billy Clarke Fishing tackle in Sheffield, you can phone them and they will tell you there and then what spare situation is.

daniel121

Reaction score
I'm not a major fan of second hand poles.

My reasoning is modern poles are very very strong when used correctly but if misused can become very weak.For this reason I like to know the history of my pole. However this is only my opinion I wish you look in your decision.

Regarding the pole itself I know nothing about it - sorry