Seat box advice please !!

sam vimes

Reaction score
I am struggling to find a really light box! The browning black magic easy box is easily the lightest thus far at 5.7 kilos! The octbox compact which looks superb is , according to the company 15 kilos with four drawers! I am surprised at that ! That is too much to carry! The pursuit continues!:rolleyes:

You'll be doing very well to find a box, with drawers, and even small underseat storage, that weighs as little as you would like. Even the most basic stools are the better part of 5kg or more. Once you start adding side trays, footplates and storage, the weight soon mounts up.

steve2

Reaction score
I don’t use it much these days but with my old seat box when I travelled light I just unclipped the base unit and took the drawers and legs. I then had what they now call venue boxes.
Who really needs a foot plate on modern commercial waters anyway.

peytr

Reaction score
No there are 3 ;)

Nope, 4 :p

I have had an old fashioned box for eerhh more than 25 years. I love the box for comfort, style (very important, at least to me) and ergonomics/storage, BUT it is a bit heavy @ 10kg empty and doesn't have a foot plate so needs a seperate platform.

I consider the UK built match boxes are excellent but think I'll try a complete DIY box in the future. I have extensive experience in wood/epoxy and CF/GF/epoxy construction and consider the commercial boxes to be clumsily heavy. Hoe can they proudly present a seat box weighing 15 kg empty?
I want something light, strong and ergonomic.

Paste paul

Reaction score
Make that 3, I still use an old ASI and a Boss box, The PI Absolute compact was heavy even with the footplate removed,
that's why I sold it and even though I have a Zafira it still took half the boot space up,
I’ve started using an AS1 and love it.....
They say that are big and heavy but compared to the Preston absolute compact it’s smaller and lighter........ I had to go ate the footplate of the absolute.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I’ve started using an AS1 and love it.....
They say that are big and heavy but compared to the Preston absolute compact it’s smaller and lighter........ I had to go ate the footplate of the absolute.
I bought the Inception when it first came out, similar to absolute compact but lighter.
As for the AS1 I think the way the strap goes through the top of the seat part and clips lower down on the box, makes it easier to carry. Compared to to some modern boxes it is a lightweight box. The only drawback is once you have been sat on one for 5 hours you know about it, it's like sat on a plank of wood. That may be because the foam in the seat may have compacted over the years.

mikench

Reaction score
I feel I ought to set the record straight on the Octbox compact as this was the box I was interested in at the time and not the full Monty. Rick Tyler , at my suggestion weighed it and put the details on the Octbox website.

Weight - Less baitwaiter and drawers 3.2Kg Baitwaiter weight 1.2kg Typical Drawer Module 2.5kg

A classy light and compact box and I could easily have bought one but the urge for a box declined. I bought a Milo Canal box a couple of weeks ago which I'm pleased with.its a lot heavier with bits and pieces inside but I now have a trolly to bear the weight. Here is a pic.

IMG_6986.JPG

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I decided to weigh the box out of interest and as it was raining. It weighs just over 6 kg empty so probably around 6.5 kg with bits inside. I suppose , as boxes go and those ,which are designed to be light , that's light.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I decided to weigh the box out of interest and as it was raining. It weighs just over 6 kg empty so probably around 6.5 kg with bits inside. I suppose , as boxes go and those ,which are designed to be light , that's light.
My Inception is stated at 11.5kg when empty, that includes the footplate, I have added 2 extra shallow drawer units, for pole rigs, not sure what it weighs now, in the base I have two portioned boxes for leads and feeders plus a few other bits n bobs.

mikench

Reaction score
I will look for a drawer unit because I'm a sad b***** and am addicted to messing

Paste paul

Reaction score
Nope, 4 :p

I have had an old fashioned box for eerhh more than 25 years. I love the box for comfort, style (very important, at least to me) and ergonomics/storage, BUT it is a bit heavy @ 10kg empty and doesn't have a foot plate so needs a seperate platform.

I consider the UK built match boxes are excellent but think I'll try a complete DIY box in the future. I have extensive experience in wood/epoxy and CF/GF/epoxy construction and consider the commercial boxes to be clumsily heavy. Hoe can they proudly present a seat box weighing 15 kg empty?
I want something light, strong and ergonomic.
I’m going to make a box too!!!!’
Eventually.
Plywood version with built in legs a bit like an AS1.

peytr

Reaction score
@Paul: do you mean this one?
1593594305390.png

It sure is stylish, the one aspect I didn't mention. I never saw one of these in real life but expect it to be heavy.

As far as design vs. weight is concerned: I can understand the tendency towards using H-frames but these are one of the causes of weight.
Boxes can be lighter when they're constructed using monocoque construction using plywood, epoxy and possibly a little fibre. I made a box years and years ago and remember it to be very light. It was decomissioned for reasons I dont't recall.

I don't know when I'll start construction. I just oiled the wood on the one I currently use and it looks nice. It's a bit like a marriage after years and years: the new ones look attractive and are a bit lighter but you're not prepared to let go of the one around :).

Best regards,

Peter

mikench

Reaction score
Blimey I must be losing the plot; I'm liking, and posting on a thread about seat boxes. Even worse I've bought one! Is there no hope . ;)

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
@Paul: do you mean this one? View attachment 9632

It sure is stylish, the one aspect I didn't mention. I never saw one of these in real life but expect it to be heavy.

As far as design vs. weight is concerned: I can understand the tendency towards using H-frames but these are one of the causes of weight.
Boxes can be lighter when they're constructed using monocoque construction using plywood, epoxy and possibly a little fibre. I made a box years and years ago and remember it to be very light. It was decomissioned for reasons I dont't recall.

I don't know when I'll start construction. I just oiled the wood on the one I currently use and it looks nice. It's a bit like a marriage after years and years: the new ones look attractive and are a bit lighter but you're not prepared to let go of the one around :).

Best regards,

Peter
An AS1 with Octoplus frame and legs underneath.
A good box ruined ???

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
@peytr I had the AS1, compared to modern boxes it is light, The point of balance with the carrying strap makes it a doddle to carry.
I have a Preston Innovations Inception which is reputed to be light, I know which box I would prefer to carry along a towpath.
Considering boxes of the quality of the AS1 and Boss and Brilo it's no wonder people are still using them 30+ years on from when they first came out. These boxes were in the £300 price bracket around that time.
I wonder how many of today's boxes will still be going in 30 years time.

dalesman

Reaction score
Make that 3, I still use an old ASI and a Boss box, The PI Absolute compact was heavy even with the footplate removed,
that's why I sold it and even though I have a Zafira it still took half the boot space up,

Iam also looking for a canal style, so thats four us

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Iam also looking for a canal style, so thats four us
I have sold both the AS1 and the Boss box,
My current box is a PI Inception, for the canal I strip it down by removing pole winder drawers and footplate, plus any unnecessary attachments from the legs, by doing this it is not to bad to take along the towpath, I will post pictures of what the Boss box looked like at later date.