Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Box vs Seat.

Default Re: Box vs Seat.

Sam, Neil, Tigger.

All I can say is you must be much younger, or fitter than I am? I'm at an age when I have back and knee issues, as well as hips that ache when standing for long. I play bowls at County level, both indoor and out, I find few people my age that don't have the above like myself. We bowl for 3 hours mostly and we all suffer to one extent or another. We'll done you guys is all I can say, I cannot stand for 6/8 hours hence I need something to rest on, that simple.

Sam I like the look of the Browning, and have seen similar (but more expensive) but you still need a bag of some kind. Hence I like the box style, but again when you fill it creates another problem. I have now a good trolley, so maybe this year I'll have it sussed out, maybe?

Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    Octbox Seat Boxes are engineered to give Match Anglers more stability than any other Seat Box. Compact Seat Box Octbox Seat Boxes are engineered to give Match Anglers more stability than any other Seat Box.

I thought you might like the light Octbox Kev as above. The weights are shown at my request and it looks good. Im tempted for canals and certain other waters!!
    I'd be all over that like a bad rash if they managed to put a back rest on it. The only time I don't want a back rest is when pole fishing.

Blog Entries

For me I prefer a seat box when pole fishing as I find that is the most comfortable, plus everything is easily to hand and it is thereby far more efficient. Also much easier to fish the pole if flat and level.

I have the Presron X-box with all of the attachments and really see no good reason now for changing that.

For totting I prefer to stand, but I cannot do that for too long these days, so in that case I have a couple of Korum chairs, again you can fit most of the Preston on box attachments if you want to so no need for constanty benfing down for bait or loose feeding.

Even so I still find it easier to stand to cast most of the time . . . .

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Quote Originally Posted by dicky123 View Post
    Sam, Neil, Tigger.

All I can say is you must be much younger, or fitter than I am? I'm at an age when I have back and knee issues, as well as hips that ache when standing for long. I play bowls at County level, both indoor and out, I find few people my age that don't have the above like myself. We bowl for 3 hours mostly and we all suffer to one extent or another. We'll done you guys is all I can say, I cannot stand for 6/8 hours hence I need something to rest on, that simple.

Rich.
    I'm racing towards 65 and have my fair share of aches & pains! I've only really just got over a shoulder problem (Rotator Cuff Injury) sustained over a year ago whilst stretching with a fully extended landing net for a lump of a Stour chub.

I've just always stood when trotting and in recent years that's involved a bit of wading. I'm well aware of what could happen so very cautious, but the issue for me is usually it now takes a couple of days for my legs to "recover" after a full day "in the Stour".

Worse still is standing in knee deep mud, that really takes it out of me. But the results are occasionally well worth the achy leg muscles that invariably follow.

I guess I will continue in that vein for as long as possible. My late uncle who was a fine river angler spent his last decade or so fishing stillwaters (and successfully) but he really, really missed the rivers. We went out a few times but the usual longer walks over fields, fences and stiles did their best to defeat him. Hopefully I can keep that scenario away for a few more years yet!

Box vs Seat.-stour.jpg

Box vs Seat.-img_7155-600-x-450-.jpg

For those suffering from standing a long time perhaps something like a shooting stick would help. Not for comfort but just to take the pressure off for a few mins by changing position.

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    I want something for when I don't plan to sit in one swim for hours and the fishing style involves more waiting, and neither of the two chairs I have works for me - chairs are invariably too low, saggy and backward-leaning.
    Have you considered some of the daddy long legs chairs ...they have a much higher seating position and are relativly easy to transport. You can also force the backrests forward by taping something to the bit of the frame that the back rest sits on.

Neil, that picture is so evocative of our sport, very nice moment I'd guess. The landing net looks huge, maybe just a camera angle thing, or you could be after Jaws?

Philip. Tried one when fly fishing, but could never get the balance quite right in a river to be honest.

Rich.

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Maidment View Post
    Interesting. I always stand when trotting.

I've never quite got into pole fishing on a serious regular basis but many years ago I quickly discovered the benefit of using a well set up box with footplate (and a lot of the vital attachments!). Nowadays when I get the pole gear out I don't bother and just use a chair. Not very efficient, but I don't care. Not very comfortable especially where my back is concerned, which I do care about. So such sessions are quite time limited.

I've inherited some more modern pole related gear including boxes. So it will require a bit of forward planning and reorganisation of what to take for any future sessions, especially as I promised my late Uncle that I will use the gear "properly"

Attachment 4932

Attachment 4933
    Neil, if you cant use it properly, I know a man who can...………… Me
    They are good poles, the beastmaster is one of the best margin poles on the market, and the Spectron is a brilliant pole and spares readily available if required.

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    Octbox Seat Boxes are engineered to give Match Anglers more stability than any other Seat Box. Compact Seat Box Octbox Seat Boxes are engineered to give Match Anglers more stability than any other Seat Box.

I thought you might like the light Octbox Kev as above. The weights are shown at my request and it looks good. Im tempted for canals and certain other waters!!
    Mike, if you buy a drawer unit the cost goes to £300, that is a lot of money for what is basically a stool, have a look at the Nufish,
    or the browning stools, I think the nufish comes with a backrest, and I think frenzee may do one as well.

You're up late Mark! Just off the Dunham after crucians!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast