Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Box vs Seat.

Default Box vs Seat.

On the recent seatbox thread, Paul mentioned he could not get on with boxes, and preferred a chair.

Well I do too, but and it's big but, when trotting I find a seat box so much more comfortable. I fully understand if you mostly sit still and wait for a bite, 100% a chair. But when trotting the box comes in so handy, reasons are.

1/ More comfortable as you can sit sideways if that makes sense, facing the way your floats going.

2/ A bait tray at hand. I cannot tell you unless you have tried it, but feeding from a bait tray saves bending, twisting and knocking over all the bait.

3/ Floats and shot can be between your legs, no looking in a bag for stuff, honest I love mine, looking at buying a better one now. No love it was used and on E-Bay.

4/ You can carry everything in one, and that is the only slight downside when you need to move swims. So now I go fishing I decide on if I'm moving about, or sitting and waiting. One is a chair, the other the box.

You can however keep the box light by being really tough on yourself, and also use a trolley.

Rich.

Default Re: Box vs Seat.

I never take any seating when trotting. I'm stood for the whole session. A small sholuder bag or a waistcoat houses my floats, weights and bits. Bait goes in neck bag if wading and sometimes in a small bucket if fishing from the bank. I very rarely stay tied up in one peg and often cover several miles of bank trying to find the fish so a bulky box or seat would be a serious hinderence to me.
    Even if I do find some fish I often get bored and move to fresh scenery. I like to try various swims to see how they fish in certain conditons....not just the ammount of water/flow going throigh but also weather/season wise.

I think standing is best but if you have to sit then I have used a lightweight stool in the past. The high seating position was good to take some stress off you back from time to time.

Seat boxes I recon are the fishing equilivant of taking a wardrobe onto an airplane as hand baggage.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Even if I'm not wading, I rarely take any kind of seat when trotting. The only time I use a seat box is if I'm pole fishing. Neither pole or box have seen the light of day for a good couple of years. For more static stillwater fishing, I will use a chair. However, I'm currently using a chair/match stool hybrid (the foot plate doesn't tend to get used). Bloody good it is too.

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    Even if I'm not wading, I rarely take any kind of seat when trotting. The only time I use a seat box is if I'm pole fishing. Neither pole or box have seen the light of day for a good couple of years. For more static stillwater fishing, I will use a chair. However, I'm currently using a chair/match stool hybrid (the foot plate doesn't tend to get used). Bloody good it is too.
    Interesting - I need something to sit on, a light seatbox, usually, but I want something for when I don't plan to sit in one swim for hours and the fishing style involves more waiting, and neither of the two chairs I have works for me - chairs are invariably too low, saggy and backward-leaning. This could bridge the gap. Do you happen to know what it weighs, if you dump the footrest and the trays etc? It looks as if you can buy just the chair, but the adverts are light on detail.

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    Interesting - I need something to sit on, a light seatbox, usually, but I want something for when I don't plan to sit in one swim for hours and the fishing style involves more waiting, and neither of the two chairs I have works for me - chairs are invariably too low, saggy and backward-leaning. This could bridge the gap. Do you happen to know what it weighs, if you dump the footrest and the trays etc? It looks as if you can buy just the chair, but the adverts are light on detail.
    IIRC, it was about six and a half kilos with the sidetray stowed under the seat. No idea whether you can buy just the chair bit. Judging by the clearance prices, I suspect that Browning have cleared a lot of them to the shops as full packages. The snag is that it's not the fastest thing in the world to move with if you are carrying it. The legs need to be removed to carry it easily. You could push them to one extreme or the other, but it makes for an awkward load.

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    IIRC, it was about six and a half kilos with the sidetray stowed under the seat. No idea whether you can buy just the chair bit. Judging by the clearance prices, I suspect that Browning have cleared a lot of them to the shops as full packages. The snag is that it's not the fastest thing in the world to move with if you are carrying it. The legs need to be removed to carry it easily. You could push them to one extreme or the other, but it makes for an awkward load.
    Thanks. I'm not one for dashing from one swim to the next, - likely to move every hour rather than every ten minutes -so a seat that works is the main thing. I know what you mean about awkward carrying. I had a perfectly good seat I'd made from the aluminium frame of a Bri-lo seatbox, a home-made upholstered top from 1/8th ply, and some Octoplus legs. I used to drop the legs out and clip them under the seat for carrying. It was all good, until some local kids burgled the shed.
    I'll see if you can buy the seat alone.

Interesting. I always stand when trotting.

I've never quite got into pole fishing on a serious regular basis but many years ago I quickly discovered the benefit of using a well set up box with footplate (and a lot of the vital attachments!). Nowadays when I get the pole gear out I don't bother and just use a chair. Not very efficient, but I don't care. Not very comfortable especially where my back is concerned, which I do care about. So such sessions are quite time limited.

I've inherited some more modern pole related gear including boxes. So it will require a bit of forward planning and reorganisation of what to take for any future sessions, especially as I promised my late Uncle that I will use the gear "properly"

Box vs Seat.-img_7255.jpg

Box vs Seat.-img_7254.jpg

Octbox Seat Boxes are engineered to give Match Anglers more stability than any other Seat Box. Compact Seat Box Octbox Seat Boxes are engineered to give Match Anglers more stability than any other Seat Box.

I thought you might like the light Octbox Kev as above. The weights are shown at my request and it looks good. Im tempted for canals and certain other waters!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    Octbox Seat Boxes are engineered to give Match Anglers more stability than any other Seat Box. Compact Seat Box Octbox Seat Boxes are engineered to give Match Anglers more stability than any other Seat Box.

I thought you might like the light Octbox Kev as above. The weights are shown at my request and it looks good. Im tempted for canals and certain other waters!!

I've got one of those Mike - you've sat on it a few times! Mine is the one in your link with the two shallow trays I use removed The other differences are cosmetic.

It's still a sturdy piece of kit, (and I'd say ideal for what you're thinking of) and the double extending legs are good but heavy - and I think the feeder chair might shave a bit off the weight, add a welcome backrest and save me swapping trays etc when taking it to fish for barbel, which involves a bit more sitting and waiting than the fishing I usually do.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast