Box vs Seat.

dicky123

Reaction score
On the recent seatbox thread, Paul mentioned he could not get on with boxes, and preferred a chair.

Well I do too, but and it's big but, when trotting I find a seat box so much more comfortable. I fully understand if you mostly sit still and wait for a bite, 100% a chair. But when trotting the box comes in so handy, reasons are.

1/ More comfortable as you can sit sideways if that makes sense, facing the way your floats going.:rolleyes:

2/ A bait tray at hand. I cannot tell you unless you have tried it, but feeding from a bait tray saves bending, twisting and knocking over all the bait.:mad:

3/ Floats and shot can be between your legs, no looking in a bag for stuff, honest I love mine, looking at buying a better one now.:eek:mg: No love it was used and on E-Bay.

4/ You can carry everything in one, and that is the only slight downside when you need to move swims. So now I go fishing I decide on if I'm moving about, or sitting and waiting. One is a chair, the other the box.

You can however keep the box light by being really tough on yourself, and also use a trolley.:wh

Rich.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I never take any seating when trotting. I'm stood for the whole session. A small sholuder bag or a waistcoat houses my floats, weights and bits. Bait goes in neck bag if wading and sometimes in a small bucket if fishing from the bank. I very rarely stay tied up in one peg and often cover several miles of bank trying to find the fish so a bulky box or seat would be a serious hinderence to me.
Even if I do find some fish I often get bored and move to fresh scenery. I like to try various swims to see how they fish in certain conditons....not just the ammount of water/flow going throigh but also weather/season wise.

Philip

Reaction score
I think standing is best but if you have to sit then I have used a lightweight stool in the past. The high seating position was good to take some stress off you back from time to time.

Seat boxes I recon are the fishing equilivant of taking a wardrobe onto an airplane as hand baggage.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

sam vimes

Reaction score
Even if I'm not wading, I rarely take any kind of seat when trotting. The only time I use a seat box is if I'm pole fishing. Neither pole or box have seen the light of day for a good couple of years. For more static stillwater fishing, I will use a chair. However, I'm currently using a chair/match stool hybrid (the foot plate doesn't tend to get used). Bloody good it is too.

nottskev

Reaction score
Even if I'm not wading, I rarely take any kind of seat when trotting. The only time I use a seat box is if I'm pole fishing. Neither pole or box have seen the light of day for a good couple of years. For more static stillwater fishing, I will use a chair. However, I'm currently using a chair/match stool hybrid (the foot plate doesn't tend to get used). Bloody good it is too.

Interesting - I need something to sit on, a light seatbox, usually, but I want something for when I don't plan to sit in one swim for hours and the fishing style involves more waiting, and neither of the two chairs I have works for me - chairs are invariably too low, saggy and backward-leaning. This could bridge the gap. Do you happen to know what it weighs, if you dump the footrest and the trays etc? It looks as if you can buy just the chair, but the adverts are light on detail.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Interesting - I need something to sit on, a light seatbox, usually, but I want something for when I don't plan to sit in one swim for hours and the fishing style involves more waiting, and neither of the two chairs I have works for me - chairs are invariably too low, saggy and backward-leaning. This could bridge the gap. Do you happen to know what it weighs, if you dump the footrest and the trays etc? It looks as if you can buy just the chair, but the adverts are light on detail.

IIRC, it was about six and a half kilos with the sidetray stowed under the seat. No idea whether you can buy just the chair bit. Judging by the clearance prices, I suspect that Browning have cleared a lot of them to the shops as full packages. The snag is that it's not the fastest thing in the world to move with if you are carrying it. The legs need to be removed to carry it easily. You could push them to one extreme or the other, but it makes for an awkward load.

nottskev

Reaction score
IIRC, it was about six and a half kilos with the sidetray stowed under the seat. No idea whether you can buy just the chair bit. Judging by the clearance prices, I suspect that Browning have cleared a lot of them to the shops as full packages. The snag is that it's not the fastest thing in the world to move with if you are carrying it. The legs need to be removed to carry it easily. You could push them to one extreme or the other, but it makes for an awkward load.

Thanks. I'm not one for dashing from one swim to the next, - likely to move every hour rather than every ten minutes -so a seat that works is the main thing. I know what you mean about awkward carrying. I had a perfectly good seat I'd made from the aluminium frame of a Bri-lo seatbox, a home-made upholstered top from 1/8th ply, and some Octoplus legs. I used to drop the legs out and clip them under the seat for carrying. It was all good, until some local kids burgled the shed.
I'll see if you can buy the seat alone.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Interesting. I always stand when trotting.

I've never quite got into pole fishing on a serious regular basis but many years ago I quickly discovered the benefit of using a well set up box with footplate (and a lot of the vital attachments!). Nowadays when I get the pole gear out I don't bother and just use a chair. Not very efficient, but I don't care. Not very comfortable especially where my back is concerned, which I do care about. So such sessions are quite time limited.

I've inherited some more modern pole related gear including boxes. So it will require a bit of forward planning and reorganisation of what to take for any future sessions, especially as I promised my late Uncle that I will use the gear "properly" :)

IMG_7255.jpg

IMG_7254.jpg

nottskev

Reaction score
Octbox Seat Boxes are engineered to give Match Anglers more stability than any other Seat Box. Compact Seat Box Octbox Seat Boxes are engineered to give Match Anglers more stability than any other Seat Box.

I thought you might like the light Octbox Kev as above. The weights are shown at my request and it looks good. Im tempted for canals and certain other waters!!

I've got one of those Mike - you've sat on it a few times! Mine is the one in your link with the two shallow trays I use removed :) The other differences are cosmetic.

It's still a sturdy piece of kit, (and I'd say ideal for what you're thinking of) and the double extending legs are good but heavy - and I think the feeder chair might shave a bit off the weight, add a welcome backrest and save me swapping trays etc when taking it to fish for barbel, which involves a bit more sitting and waiting than the fishing I usually do.

dicky123

Reaction score
Sam, Neil, Tigger.

All I can say is you must be much younger, or fitter than I am? I'm at an age when I have back and knee issues, as well as hips that ache when standing for long. I play bowls at County level, both indoor and out, I find few people my age that don't have the above like myself. We bowl for 3 hours mostly and we all suffer to one extent or another. We'll done you guys is all I can say, I cannot stand for 6/8 hours hence I need something to rest on, that simple.

Sam I like the look of the Browning, and have seen similar (but more expensive) but you still need a bag of some kind. Hence I like the box style, but again when you fill it creates another problem. I have now a good trolley, so maybe this year I'll have it sussed out, maybe?

Rich.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Octbox Seat Boxes are engineered to give Match Anglers more stability than any other Seat Box. Compact Seat Box Octbox Seat Boxes are engineered to give Match Anglers more stability than any other Seat Box.

I thought you might like the light Octbox Kev as above. The weights are shown at my request and it looks good. Im tempted for canals and certain other waters!!

I'd be all over that like a bad rash if they managed to put a back rest on it. The only time I don't want a back rest is when pole fishing.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
For me I prefer a seat box when pole fishing as I find that is the most comfortable, plus everything is easily to hand and it is thereby far more efficient. Also much easier to fish the pole if flat and level.

I have the Presron X-box with all of the attachments and really see no good reason now for changing that.

For totting I prefer to stand, but I cannot do that for too long these days, so in that case I have a couple of Korum chairs, again you can fit most of the Preston on box attachments if you want to so no need for constanty benfing down for bait or loose feeding.

Even so I still find it easier to stand to cast most of the time . . . .

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Sam, Neil, Tigger.

All I can say is you must be much younger, or fitter than I am? I'm at an age when I have back and knee issues, as well as hips that ache when standing for long. I play bowls at County level, both indoor and out, I find few people my age that don't have the above like myself. We bowl for 3 hours mostly and we all suffer to one extent or another. We'll done you guys is all I can say, I cannot stand for 6/8 hours hence I need something to rest on, that simple.

Rich.

I'm racing towards 65 and have my fair share of aches & pains! I've only really just got over a shoulder problem (Rotator Cuff Injury) sustained over a year ago whilst stretching with a fully extended landing net for a lump of a Stour chub.

I've just always stood when trotting and in recent years that's involved a bit of wading. I'm well aware of what could happen so very cautious, but the issue for me is usually it now takes a couple of days for my legs to "recover" after a full day "in the Stour".

Worse still is standing in knee deep mud, that really takes it out of me. But the results are occasionally well worth the achy leg muscles that invariably follow.

I guess I will continue in that vein for as long as possible. My late uncle who was a fine river angler spent his last decade or so fishing stillwaters (and successfully) but he really, really missed the rivers. We went out a few times but the usual longer walks over fields, fences and stiles did their best to defeat him. Hopefully I can keep that scenario away for a few more years yet! :)

stour.jpg

IMG_7155 (600 x 450).jpg

Philip

Reaction score
For those suffering from standing a long time perhaps something like a shooting stick would help. Not for comfort but just to take the pressure off for a few mins by changing position.

Philip

Reaction score
I want something for when I don't plan to sit in one swim for hours and the fishing style involves more waiting, and neither of the two chairs I have works for me - chairs are invariably too low, saggy and backward-leaning.

Have you considered some of the daddy long legs chairs ...they have a much higher seating position and are relativly easy to transport. You can also force the backrests forward by taping something to the bit of the frame that the back rest sits on.

dicky123

Reaction score
Neil, that picture is so evocative of our sport, very nice moment I'd guess. The landing net looks huge, maybe just a camera angle thing, or you could be after Jaws?:D

Philip. Tried one when fly fishing, but could never get the balance quite right in a river to be honest.

Rich.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Interesting. I always stand when trotting.

I've never quite got into pole fishing on a serious regular basis but many years ago I quickly discovered the benefit of using a well set up box with footplate (and a lot of the vital attachments!). Nowadays when I get the pole gear out I don't bother and just use a chair. Not very efficient, but I don't care. Not very comfortable especially where my back is concerned, which I do care about. So such sessions are quite time limited.

I've inherited some more modern pole related gear including boxes. So it will require a bit of forward planning and reorganisation of what to take for any future sessions, especially as I promised my late Uncle that I will use the gear "properly" :)

View attachment 4932

View attachment 4933

Neil, if you cant use it properly, I know a man who can...………… Me
They are good poles, the beastmaster is one of the best margin poles on the market, and the Spectron is a brilliant pole and spares readily available if required.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs

Mike, if you buy a drawer unit the cost goes to £300, that is a lot of money for what is basically a stool, have a look at the Nufish,
or the browning stools, I think the nufish comes with a backrest, and I think frenzee may do one as well.