If you don't know now, you can still learn.

dicky123

Reaction score
I love the fact the more I read and listen the more I learn. I'm in its infancy when it comes to my fishing even though it's spanned all my life.

I've just read Ivan Marks book on float fishing, and how he believed he caught more fish than his opponents because he used much smaller hooks and light lines. Loads of other snippets in his book. Also I've found more and more articles on people (match guys mostly) landing very big fish on ultra light lines. Just keeping cool and taking their time.

John Allerton, saying how he thought you fished casters along the bottom, and maggots on the drop. All stuff you may not know even if you've fished a lifetime. So many know-alls on forums these days saying there is just one way of doing things, one rod to buy, only one way their way. Thanks God most of us are open-minded on this forum.

Rich

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
At the end of the day you use what works for you, wether it be small hooks and light lines or meat hooks an towing rope.

B

binka

I've often wondered if there's a common denominator which is present in all the approaches of great fisherman.

I think the biggest factor is having faith in what you are doing and persevering with it, not necessarily as in a particular bait or method but in your approach in general.

I think many may do certain seemingly little things particularly well and maybe without giving it a second thought as to its significance in their success, maybe it's a certain combination of things which, when they all combine, produce the magic recipe.

One thing's for sure though, what we learn today can be completely irrelevant tomorrow and as frustrating as that can at times be, it's also what provides the challenge and makes it so interesting.

dicky123

Reaction score
Agree Steve. Marks said he tried to think like a fish, sounds a little OTT but it does make sense.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
one thing Ivan couldn't do though was get his head around fishing commercials, when I was a lad working at probably the first commercial in Leicester we used to run matches and Ivan attended a few and really struggled against anglers that were starting to learn the new methods needed to catch carp and he tended to use traditional methods to target the other species. I read recently where Roy Marlow commented that later on he was still struggling to get his head around them.

theartist

Reaction score
Agree Steve. Marks said he tried to think like a fish, sounds a little OTT but it does make sense.

Sounds like the best advice one angler can give another, wouldn't say it was OTT at all, I'd add watching the fish as much as possible in clear water.

With muddy commercials the normal starting point for fresh faces could there be a dearth of 'thinking anglers' in the future?

mikench

Reaction score
Think like a fish sounds a good idea and I'm glad you bRoached the subject without carping on about it! Trout this thread I've tried not to adopt a bleak outlook and to continue to bream of learning more and trying new methods! Ruddn't you agree? It isn't crucian eely! Must stop barbelling on and tench my teeth and get off my perch!

It's very common not to mirror my views and ide better dace away to the Chub!

I'll get my coat!:rolleyes:

B

binka

My missus was piling on the pounds a couple of years ago and she asked me what the best way would be to lose a few and so I told her to think like a fish.

When she asked me what I meant I just told her to avoid chips... :drum: