Bread punch,

wetthrough

Reaction score
It's the first time I've used Hovis Soft White thick, just finished the loaf. For punch it seems OK but for flake it's a bit thick on an 18s hook IMO.

I was back on Warburtons medium sliced yesterday and don't like it for punch. I find the texture too course and was never sure it was still on the hook. It could just have been the particular slice I was using and unusually, it was fresh, they generally come out of the freezer if it makes a difference. I'll be back to the Hovis soft white thick next time out.

rayner

Reaction score
Bread freezes OK, I don't use frozen bread for punch. I prefer fresh straight from the bag. No steaming or rolling.
I buy a fresh loaf, take out what I need then leave the rest of the loaf at home.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I never use bread from the freezer for the hook, I think freezing may change the consistency of the bread,all I know is I tried it once and was unsure about it staying on the hook, I use it straight from the bag. The most I have used in one day is 9 pints of liquidized bread and a full large warbys toastie and part of a small warbys toastie, This was in a bread only match and the carp and tench decided they were hungry,

wetthrough

Reaction score
Not sure whether freezing affects it or not but the most I ever use is one slice so fresh isn't really an option. The Hovis doesn't seem to suffer in as much as it stays on the hook OK after it's been frozen. I have some crumb in the freezer but don't think I can use it where I'm fishing at the moment.

mikench

Reaction score
I bought some Local dried bread on offer at my local Decathlon! I will give you some to try Gordon as wet bread!!!! Odd or what!!

This stuff!View attachment 5982

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Yes ! You slice it, wet it and then hook it! It becomes wet bread! Amazing stuff although I have yet to catch anything with it! I will give you some to try Gordon! It stays on the hook or hair!!!:)

wetthrough

Reaction score
Yes ! You slice it, wet it and then hook it! It becomes wet bread! Amazing stuff although I have yet to catch anything with it! I will give you some to try Gordon! It stays on the hook or hair!!!:)

Not got much hair left so anything's worth a try:)

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I think Sensas did something similar a few years ago regarding the dried bread, it was recommended it was cut with strong line because a knife could crumble it I think, Maybe someone on here can elaborate on this.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Here is a variation on using bread on hair rig/quickstop.. Use crumpets, they can be cut to a shape, and will absorb flavours. Pikelets ,and I don't mean small predators will do a similar job.

wetthrough

Reaction score
I've been thinking of cooking up some Derbyshire Oatcakes and giving them a try. Anyone know if they float?

mikench

Reaction score
Sainsbury's sell Staffordshire oatcakes but, like crumpets, they are far too good for the fish!!!

Last edited:

wetthrough

Reaction score
Thanks Mike. Staff's are much the same thing. I'll pick some up next opportunity although looking at the weather they might not make it to the bank.

mikench

Reaction score
I've got you a block of the magic bread Gordon so will give it to you when next we meet!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Perhaps the fish in my venues (mostly roach) are not as fussy as some in other places as I've never found the need to microwave, or do anything else to a standard slice of bread, for that matter. I buy Warburton's medium and keep it in the freezer with the only 'must' being it is kept well wrapped at all times. Any exposure within the freezer will dry it out and this not ideal, although I have used when pushed.
I take out a couple of slices, place it in a sealed bag and keep it well covered during the session and that's it. Any leftovers go towards the liccy...............

I am not a punch 'expert' by any means but I do catch well on the stuff, providing the liccy or slop is well prepared and the tackle set-up is sound. It's a very, very simple bait and a simple approach has usually produced results. I can appreciate matchmen and other regular users might find certain 'improvements' help when it gets tough, though.

Not to say other ways would produce even bigger and better bags, but why change a winning method...

ps I do use the (Jerry recommended) Drennan bread punches, various meat punches from time to time and they all produce fish, but I do have a preference for the standard punch and fine tackle fishing.

Last edited: