Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bread punch,

Default Bread punch,

How are people making their bread punch hook baits please?

Thanks.

Rich.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bread punch,

I still use a set of Middy punches as I’ve never found anything better. They are sharp and the ones in foam jackets also float if dropped in the water.

For larger pieces of read I also still use the Drennan bread flake punches (the green ones) and I’ve had mine for many years.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs

Do you mean are they Microwaving the bread for 10 seconds then putting in ziplok bag ,
    Holding bread over steaming kettle, rolling bread flat with rolling pin or just using straight from the bag ?
    Or do you mean what bread punches are being used, ?
    I use punches with sharp edge and decent slot in the side for the hook, also various size meat punches are used
    and for extreme bread punch discs I use an apple corer, the bread is used straight from the bag with no micro wave etc,
    I also have a set of Drennan flake punches that are years old.

Straight from the bag and with some old bread punches I've had for 30 plus years, god knows what brand they was, they actually look like a bic biro
    The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams!

People have mentioned most things already, but the thread reminded me of my fishing mate's unorthodox "punch" fishing. I don't fish punch often, and I find the method a bit fiddly - prep'ing the bread, keeping it from drying out, punching bits on a hard surface, knocking odd bits off shipping out etc - so I walked down to see how he was doing with it. He was taking his bait out of a lidded box, which was tiny squares or triangles of rolled bread cut on a breadboard at home. He was catching roach every put in. Typical triumph of skill over equipment - I'd watched him bag up on the stick for years before I noticed he'd snapped a couple of inches off his rod tip, and the second ring was now the tip ring.

I've just bought the cheap winter card for a club that has some good canal roach fishing at Loughborough, and I gather you need to fish bread in the clear water, so I'll have to brush up on it, if anyone has any good tips.

I will take some bread tomorrow weather permitting for the roach! I normally microwave and flatten with a rolling pin but will take a plain slice as well and see if it makes any difference !

Just in case I will have some maggots and casters!

If I can come up with a cunning plan Kev , I will reveal all! Perhaps punch soaked in F1 glug may just be what the roach are waiting for!!!!
    Last edited by mikench; 25-10-2018 at 17:23.

Top tip Kev, not this ....

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    Perhaps punch soaked in F1 glug may just be what the roach are waiting for!!!!

Well what is your top tip then Peter? My comment about the glug was tongue in cheek! Do fish have tongues?
    Last edited by mikench; 25-10-2018 at 18:37.

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    My comment about the glug was tongue in cheek!
    So was mine...

Blog Entries

Not that it's the way to do it, I'm not that experienced but you asked so here goes. I use Image punches but haven't used anything else, they seem to work. One slice Hovis Soft White thick. Half of which I use for flake and the other for punch. Crusts off, the half for punch I very lightly steam on one side then press lightly with the palm of my hand. The only reason for the steaming is so that one side sticks to the ZIP drive case (old computer storage thingy) I keep it in. Pressing it lightly helps to stop it sticking to the top of the case. It's the first time I've used Hovis Soft White thick, just finished the loaf. For punch it seems OK but for flake it's a bit thick on an 18s hook IMO.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast