Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How to make Expander Pellets at Home!!!

Does anybody have any ideas on how expander pellets or soft hooker pellets are made, I've searched google for days but didn't came across any articles on how its made. it's only couple of quid's to buy them but where I live no one has them. Please guys it anybody knows how it can be made let me know I really want to use them.

Default Re: How to make Expander Pellets at Home!!!

Found a couple of link that might help

At last, the secret to making pellet hookbaits is revealed
    Trust me I’m an Engineer

I have read this article and watched the video couple of years ago, but I want to know how to make soft hooker pellets or expandable pellets like the ones sonubait sells.

I remain unconvinced about expanders as an effective bait at all and certainly could not be bothered messing about with pumps or syringes. When I do prepare them I use those recommended by Des Shipp( Sonubaits perhaps) . You literally cover them with water, leave them overnight and they are ready next day. They come in 4,6 and 8mm.

I see you are in Bangladesh so may not be able to acquire sonubaits pellets. If so buy a cheap syringe from eBay, as big as you need to suit the pellets( big is best),discard the needle carefully, fill with pellets and water, place finger or palm over hole in nozzle and pull down the plunger to remove the air. The pellets will then stop floating and sink. They are normally then ready to use. Repeat this process as necessary.
    Last edited by mikench; 28-10-2019 at 07:59.

I've found occasions when nothing will beat expanders as a hookbait, and preparing them, even with a pump, certainly takes less time than most other baits - soaking and simmering hemp and tares, riddling and flavouring maggots, looking after casters, food-processing bread etc.

What exactly do you want your expander/soft pellets for? There might be some alternative if you give us more of an idea. For instance, before expanders etc were invented, people were making a soft fishmeal-type hookbait by grinding pellets, mixing with egg (put the ingredients in a plastic bag and knead together - keeps it off your hands), and making a paste of variable stiffness, and using as it hookbait. Nowadays, they are more likely to wrap the paste around a hair-rigged hard pellet for extra attraction.
    The drawback is that the paste bait can't be cast far, and works best under a pole or rod tip.

As a hook bait, last year I have used 8mm expanders from sonubaits [the ones you only have to soak for a couple of hours] and you won't believe how many big fish I have caught using them. for example one day in a 9-hour session I have caught 378pounds worth of fish and the smallest one being a 6pounder but all those weren't carps I have caught odd 5 or7 carps that day, we have different species over here. The dealer that bought me those expanders from the UK passed away and after that, I couldn't find anybody who could bring me those and if I want to buy them from online the shipping cost will be 2times more than the original price.

Blog Entries

There is a seller on Ebay called lewis9222 who ships expander pellets to Bangladesh,could be worth checking out.

I would buy 2 years supply and sell some to cover overheads.

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    I would buy 2 years supply and sell some to cover overheads.
    It doesn't take much to confuse me, 2 posts in different sections

Mike's answer is probably a better

I've met some fussy fish, but it's hard to imagine there are fish in Bangladesh that will only eat Sonubaits 8mm expanders. I take it that these fish, though, did prove easier to catch on a medium-sized soft pellet with a fishmeal ingredient/flavour. If a fishmeal-based paste is no use ( you still didn't mention how you are fishing or how far you need to cast) you could consider making a pellet with a jelly/rubbery texture.
    Pellets ground to powder and mixed with gelatine dissolved in hot water - you can experiment with the ratio of powder/gelatine/ water - will set into a rubbery block of say 10mm depth and you can then cut it into bait-sized pieces or punch out cylinders with a meat punch, and put these straight on the hook or hair-rig them. The first time I tried this - a soft alternative to the common halibut pellet - the chub on a local river took it readily.
    A bit of lateral thinking might solve the soft pellet hookbait problem. But maybe these expanders are also a feed bait that's key to your success? You didn't mention what/how you were feeding, which might make it easier for people to make suggestions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast