Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What makes a good match angler???

It's not my cup of tea (you'd never have guessed) but watching those videos where commercial expert Jamie Hughes talks through a session or a match are fascinating. What come across, apart from all the expected skills which he plainly has in spades, is an extraordinary ability to read all the feedback he gets from the fish via type and timing of bites. When pole fishing, he introduces small, measured amounts of feed, fed in a particular way - eg dropped or dripped from a pot or thrown etc - at a particular time - eg before putting the rig in or after hitting a bite - with a rig shotted this way or that. He's studying exactly what the result tells him about the number and behaviour of fish in front of him, and continues or adjusts accordingly, always prepared to change it or test something different. I know we all do this - feed a bit and see what happens - but he takes the whole business to another level, and I can understand, when I watch, how he seems to have such miraculous success in his field. I've been fishing for 50 years, usually in areas that needed a bit of finesse, and I'd say I was a frugal feeder and fairly careful and methodical. But watching him, I feel positively slapdash.

Blog Entries

On you tube ive watched all the Jon Arthur vids,both when he was sponsored by Drennan,then Matrix,you can just see how good he is,very,very good....

Blog Entries

I tried it once and felt way out of my comfort zone and the amount of kit club anglers have is scary. It's like keeping up with the Jones's. I have done some swap fishing matches but stopped as I wasn't enjoying it and 1 match was 3 down 1 up no good up here as the water can fly right down.

I think the UK match scene has fragmented in the nearly 30 years since the short period when the OP and I fished for the same team. More commercial venues have come to the fore - with a few new methods and a lot of refinement of approaches.
    So very few indeed are masters of all the wide range of methods, whilst a lot of match anglers stick to one kind of venue (or even one venue!)
    Having said that fish are still fish, and all the old methods still work as well. I know - i still employ them and get a few results on river matches.

So beyond knowledge, equipment and dexterity - what is important?

A good drawing arm is important - to help that I like venues that have a lot of potential winning pegs that suit the methods I prefer.
    Confidence is another important factor - especially on harder days - experience that your approach is right.

Open mind and active thinking is the key difference IMO. It's all great when you catch from the off on the starting approach - but how do you maximise your catch on the day .... stick or twist? It's those decisions that make or break.
    I remember an article (I think it was by David Hall) recounting watching John Dean in his heyday on the trent - constantly adjusting his rig after every fish or bite. The author thought that he was seeking the perfect presentation so that John could cane the roach ... but eventually realise that he "was" caning them - and the constant adjustment was part of the reason. Same thought process for feeding. I believe Ivan called it "thinking like a fish".

The other thing is inquisitive and open-minded. The top match anglers download what others have done when they are successful and log it away for future reference.

But still - the best thing about match fishing is that it gives any of us the opportunity to line up against these stars with a chance of beating them! I have happy memories of fishing close to or next peg with a lot of the names already mentioned on the thread. Only last week I was two pegs from Bob Nudd! Sadly (for me) he bested me on this occasion.

Blog Entries

Alex,when you speak to certain anglers you know they are half tidy,i talk to Des Barker every week or two,its usually a waffle but i can tell he thinks the right thoughts,he has found things that i and others have found,not what rods and reels he uses,but things he has found out whilst fishing matches,these people are the 5% that win 90% of the matches

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12