Origanal pole elastic

Markp

Reaction score
just been thinking and perhaps 1 of you older anglers may remember the origanal brand of pole elastic that came in numbers 1 to 8, long before the days of bungee and hollow elastics, it came in a winder and I'm sure it began with a Z

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
When I started pole fishing in 1976 there was extra fine (about a no. 1), fine (no. 2), medium (no. 4) and strong (no. 6). We did pretty much all our fishing with fine or medium. At the end of the pole we had a pole crook with 12 to 18" of elastic dangling below that. Each rig had its own elastic.

Paste paul

Reaction score
When I started pole fishing in 1976 there was extra fine (about a no. 1), fine (no. 2), medium (no. 4) and strong (no. 6). We did pretty much all our fishing with fine or medium. At the end of the pole we had a pole crook with 12 to 18" of elastic dangling below that. Each rig had its own elastic.
Mark I remember it well.......
My first pole a 6m glass fibre model had a flick tip which was ok but my dad bought a crook from the tackle shop and we fitted it.... in all honesty I can’t remember the strength of elastic we used but it was only light maybe a 4 or 6.....
Interestingly my first carbon pole a tri cast challenger had some rod rings whipped to the top section and the elastic ran on the external of the pole a bit like line on a rod.....I eventually removed them and fitted the elastic internally......

rayner

Reaction score
Yes, the pole crook, those were the days. It wasn't in use very long for me because I was shown how to bead elastic through the No1, a bead from a necklace at the end of the No1 with PTFE tape around the tip, it was wound around the tip just overlapping then poked down the inside of the tip with the end of a stick float.
That was back in 76 I remember.
I suppose it was the start of internal elastics. I have no idea who came up with the idea but it spread like wildfire on the local match circuit soon everyone had a version.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I was still using the pole crook in 1984; in 1985 switched to the quivertip with eyes then in 86 finally got a PTFE bush and internal elastic.

rayner

Reaction score
I was still using the pole crook in 1984; in 1985 switched to the quivertip with eyes then in 86 finally got a PTFE bush and internal elastic.

My 76 comment was a little out as I now remember. I bought my first pole before my first trip to Ireland and that was 1979 I used that with a crook, it was about a year after that it must have been 80 or so when the beaded elastic was shown to me.