Most Memorable Victories

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I suppose winning my club match aggregate this year for the third year on the trot stands out well for me.

Kevan Martin

Reaction score
Nice one Graham, quite a result winning it once let alone 3 times on the trot.

Mine would have to be winning a 50 peg open this year from a peg that has always been thought of as ****. I had 2 slabs, 1 tench, 1 big perch, 1 chub and a few bits for a new match record of 16lb 8oz. Plus one slab went 5lb 9oz making it the biggest ever caught in a match on the river.

nice......

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Won them on the pole as well, which I only took up four years ago. Love fishing the pole for crucians and crucian lookalikes.

Good win Kevan, nice fish as well, especially the slab.

R

Richard Drayson

One that I remember well is an inter school match back in 1972/73?
Fished a local lake, really foul weather with lots of rain but managed to win with 2lbs 4ozs 4 drams.
The best bit was that one of my teachers came along for support, he wore a white raincoat but slipped base over apex in the deep mud and ended up covered in s**t.

Great laugh.

P

Paul Scattergood

Winning @ Whiteacres & going back for the 'Winners festival' in the October with a free weeks stay to boot! That was 5 years ago...... never come close since !

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Winning the Home Counties school match when i was 14. 110 fished, i was chuffed to bits.

Winning the Boxmoor and District Junior Xmas match and coming second in the adult section when i was 12.

Beating Murray most times at Blenhiem.

G

Gary Knowles

My first ever match aged 6.

Fished on the Shropshire union canal at Goldstone.

I caught 16 gudgeon (yes I remember exactly how many). The nearest juvenile to me had 7 gudgeon. When I lifted my keepnet that my grandad had given me, there were only 3 gudgeon left and they were stuck in the mesh with their gills (it was a gudgeon mesh keepnet - complete with abrasive knots!).

I cried...but the club awarded my first prize anyway !!!!!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Yeah righto, that old chestnut, oh dear, i'm sure i had more than that in their!!!

Gary Cadd

:eek:)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Most memorable was a River match in Norway.
Had to work the mag and wag really hard on the far bank feeding balls of sticky mag. Ended up with 21 kilos of prime Vederbuk (Ide) Roach and 2 Chub.

The most enjoyable however was on the same river a few months later. Fished 3 lines, one at 3m whip to hand for bleak bashing, the far bank for the Roach and Vederbuk and 11m pole with short line for the bigger bream. Every line produced well and I won the event with 28 kilos, nearly 20k of which came from the 11m line in the last hour - all Bream.

This was in my 4th season match fishing in norway.

The following year we fish the Nationals on a moat in southern Norway that held masses of small Crucians. Myself and another English angler fished 4m to hand the first 40 minutes on punched bread and the rest on pinkie. He won and I was 3rd but it was a very satisfactory result on a new venue that we had only practiced on twice before.

Alan Campbell

Reaction score
Winning the Division 4 National on the Cam 3 years ago. Not only was the win a fantastic buzz the money was nice as well. We had already spent all our savings on 3 I.V.F. cycles, trying for a baby.Had one more go with the winnings and little Ellie was born July 2001. What a great 12 months!!

L

Les Clark

Selby,F/M ,Jame`s Farrow cup,well chuffed,well pleased,well honered,(excuse spelling Richard).

R

Ron Troversial Clay

When I lived in Leamington Spa I joined The Cubbington Angling Club. I got roped in to fish the club match near Upton on the Lower Severn. There were 45 of us. We met in the Queens Head to draw and have breakfast. I drew number 1.

Then we all piled aboard the coach we had hired and set off for the river.

I won the match with 11 1/2 lbs of bream and two eels.

On the way home we stopped at a pub and had a great meal together with a fair few drinks. The ribbing I had to take by me drawing number 1 and being dead jammy was enormous.

Yet secretly I've never enjoyed myself some much in my life.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
I spent a good few years Match Fishing and it was a great time for me in so many ways, I got to fish alongside some of the best at the time from down my way (south) and I learn't so much.

I have a magazine, I believe it is the 1st match fishing or course angler mag?, it is realy inlightling on how things change!!!!

On it's way to you Graham.

J

jason fisher

i've never won a match, but i did win one for my dad, fishing a few lakes near lincoln, the lake owner wanted to move the perch from one of his lakes to another and was having a perch only match.
i'd been fishing with my 7 year old daughter the previous day she'd been using the 3m whip and had caught loads of perch, so i lent my dad my whip and a few rigs for the day, while i spent the day stalking carp.
he won the match and used the winnings to buy his first pole.
the funniest day i ever had was fishing a school match where my best mate caught 54 (i think) boot lace eels but he was using a gudgeon mesh keep net and they all escaped.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
No you are OK Les, it was a 24hr match, and we couldn't have wished for a better chap to have won.

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
Two stand out for me .....
my first ever match win an open on the Weaver (winsford) the river was about three foot up and I managed to bag 14.5 oz of prime gudgeonfor my first ever match win

another a summer evenning match on the Bridgewater canal only fishing for 3.5 hrs car broke down turned up 10 minutes after all in asked the organiser if I could still fish in the first empty peg he said yes but had to ask every other competitor they all said yes so 1.5 hrs after all in set up one rod with wag for far bank in about 30 seconds and won the match with a bag full of skimmers.....speant all winnings in pub afterwards as a thankyou for letting me fish......

kyle kitchen

Reaction score
winnin a junior school match with 7lb odd in 2000 and winning my first match with my club now with 31lb odd of small carp on hosticks