Is Alan Scotthorne

Kevan Martin

Reaction score
After Alan won this years world champs for the 4th time in 7 years, does this make him the best match angler of modern times?.

W

Wolfman Woody

Bob Nudd's won it four times too. But Alan has youth on his side so he has more chances to beat it yet.

When I first met him in 1995/6 He introduced himself and I asked him "And what are you famous for?" Course he hadn't won any titles then, I think it was his first year for England. I've made the peace with him since.

J

jason fisher

i like alan and really respect his ability, he is a briliant angler, time will tell if he is the best matchman that there has ever been.
after all, all he has to do is win it one more time.

Kevan Martin

Reaction score
I was hoping that either Benny or Kevin would get a mention. Having fished with Kevin in Ireland last year, what a gent and an amazing angler to boot, needless to mention his charm with the ladies.

I am also lucky to know Bob Nudd, He has to be one of the most dedicated anglers I have ever seen. Again in Ireland we stayed at the same digs as Bob, he was up one morning at 3:30 just to tie some hooks, dedication I can tell especially as he only left the pub at 2:00 that morning.

It is a great achievment that both Bob and Alan have won the worlds 4 times apiece. Long may it continue. Englands next world champion, Will Raison?.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Of the three top match anglers, two of which I have met and fished with, I would put Ivan Marks as the best and I never fished with Ivan.

The other two, are of course, Billy Lane and Benny Ashurst, both very nice guys indeed.

I will never forget both Benny's and Billy's advice on how to rig float tackle for sensitivity and correct presentation. Doing so, to their recommendations, has caught me lots of fish and I'm not a match angler.

J

jason fisher

before i opened this thread today, i was thinking i bet some one has put up ivan marks, benny ashurst or kevin.
the only problem with including these people is, the question was modern times.
now if we want to start a who was the best matchman ever thread.
modern times it has to be between bob and alan, you cannot argue with results.
ever then i think i would have to vote for ivan marks.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think that there is any one 'correct' answer to this.
The names mentioned like, Kevin and Benny Ashurst, Ivan Marks, the incomparable Billy Lane, Nudd and Scotthorne are/were all very 'special' match anglers for very different reasons.

Into the mix though you have to consider people like; Steve Gardner, Dave Vincent, Dave Harrel and even Jan Porter.
All 'thinking' matchmen who have remarkable skills and knowledge.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Just because some one can winkle out a few fish in a given area, DONT make em world champs in my eyes, they may be good at it, but the chance to play is a bit limited, IE, How would some of the Carp baggers get on if the world champs was held on a Carp water?

Bloody well!!!, cause thats whats they do.

The whole thing about World Champs at Fishing is flawed, and rightly so, it's not what it is about, it's not what fishermen are about, it's not what the normal angler is about, it's all about competition between a select few!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HIC

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Murray,

In what way do you think the World Champs. are 'flawed'?
The fact that it is a team event with the teams being selected at National level can hardly make this a flawed concept, can it?
So, yes, it is a competition for a select few, but then which sport can you name that is any different at International level?

As far as the Carp Baggers are concerned, there few better than Will Raison, or indeed the likes of Nudd, Gardner and even Scotthorn, so I don't see your argument on that front either.

What a lot of people don't realise is the the World Champs are a float fishing competition, ledger, feeder etc are not allowed, neither is it allowed to have your bait trailing the bottom.
I have been to several World Champs, and seen first hand the excellence of the anglers who compete and would venture to suggest that they are very representative of their respective Countries.

I am not trying to be controversial, it is simply that I am having some difficulty seeing your argument.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Many years ago I remember Tag Barnes telling me that although I might not be all that interested in match fishing, if I got the chance, spend time watching a top class match angler in action.

Over the years I have spent much time watching them. Billy Lane was magic on the Witham with his big sliding float the Sheffielders used to laugh at it. But they stopped laughing when it came to the weigh-ins.

I can assure you that all the England team members can all fish on ANY water for ANY species. That's how my old mate **** Clegg used to pick them.

W

Wolfman Woody

Peter, the World Championships are meant to be float only and for the bait to be kept off the bottom, but it has be known for many an angler to pin the bait hard on the bottom with an extra shot set well overdepth.

Ron, I was attracted by those Billy Lane Slider floats after I met the man and he showed me what they were. I asked my local tackle dealer if he had some and I bought a few. lost the last one back in the 90's.

Still have a Benny Ashurst stick float though - only offers over ?20 will be considered!!! :)

R

richard paterson

tommy pickering takes some beating but alan is probably the best angler to fish for england.jammie masson uk champion twice on the trott is the best match angler on the open scene at this moment in time ?

J

jason fisher

the other thing is if the world championships was opened up to other methods, people like bob or alan would still win. they would just work at the method till they got there.
that's why they are where they are now ability plus lots of hard work.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Bloody annoying but we aren't even mentioned under 'other sports'.

Get your votes in!

J

jason fisher

bet he's not the most successful angler though,
my dad's fished 3 matches and won all 3.

James Mercer

Reaction score
I was just wondering, ive fished with Joe Waldron all my life and have heard some amazing stories about the heyday of match fishin on the Witham and Welland rivers etc. Ive also seen the evidence of the matches he has won, proving at some time or another he has beaten many of the older anglers mentioned above! I would love to hear from anyone who remembers Joe, and im sure he would too!

Cheers, James.