What about matches

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

For example allow only one rod, no longer than 13 feet. Allow only three stipulated rigs and no more than say 1/2 pint of maggots and 1 kilo of bait.

Maybe this would be more fair and give all competitors a better chance, relying on ability rather than expensive sponserships from tackle and bait firms.

Put everyone on as level a playing field as possible.

What do you think?

Tex Aitken

Reaction score
Ron
it would make a difference if all matches were made say 10 ft feeder rod only
or a 13 ft match rod. method to be decided befor draw. ground bait crumb only.
if you won the last match you get a 5lb handicap. it would make matches moor interesting.

J

jason fisher

would it work though, how would you get the 16M pole men to put it down for a week and fish something else.
It would be a good idea for the alrounder but the ones that can't fish different methods just wouldn't turn up.
you would have to make it a series say 10 matches with 5 different methods,
pole, feeder, stickfloat, waggler,lures even. with the lure matches to be fished roving round a lake, to claim a fish 2 witnesses would be needed and witnessing could not be refused if asked.

J

John Pleasance

Leave 'em alone Ron, they've got enough problems as it is.

P

Paul Scattergood

Ron,
The pole is the matchman's main weapon these days & you can find matches with handicaps all over the country. Ie Rod only, bait restrictions etc. The French seem to have this sussed as the whole of their match fishing is standard throughout France. With restrictions on Pole length , bait quantity, feeding & a 3hr match duration. In fact all international matches are fished with simnilar restrictions but the pole length is 16m as opposed to 12.5m ( I think in France)

Even though the French level the playing field in terms of standardisation of equipment their 3hr matches mean the feeding & tactics are vastly different to the English matchmen. So change is basically not going to happen across the board. Don't forget all the fishing media ( On paper anyway ) is backed by the tackle industry who won't want to see restrictions placed on matches as this would affect their trade.

More European style matches will become available because the NFA need more top class anglers to fish in this style to help maintain England as one of the top match fishing sides in the world. But French style match angling will never become the norm in UK IMO.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Restricting the choice of the matchman only serves to make it more of a lottery than a test of skill. Choosing the right tackle, tactics and bait is part of fishing a good match.

T

Terry Comerford

I think restricting the length of poles in matches makes sense.
Competitors surface floating 20 mtrs+ of pole doesn't look to me to be a very good example to prospective new match anglers.

On the other points, I think there is enough bans/restrictions on match anglers already.
A match angler only has to find a new winning method/bait and its banned.
Maybe thats one of the reasons attendances at matches have fallen dramatically since the 80s?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ron,
I would agree that at International level some restrictions are a necessity.
I remember some years back watching some of the former communist Countries using 9m poles and trying to compete with the Italians, French and the English who were armed with 16m weapons.
In fact the Italians during the practice days decided that the poles they had brought with them were not "fit for purpose," so a quick phone call and 2 days later they received a batch of 12, sixteen meter poles.

Given that we already have some pretty stupid bait bans I really wouldn't want to see any further bans regarding rods and/or methods.

Competing in the match fishing world is the same as competing in any other sport inasmuch as those prepared to make the sacrifices and arm themselves with the right equipment will (and should IMHO) always succeed.

I fully agree with Graham that the restriction on choice will turn matches into a complete lottery.

Robert Pearson

Reaction score
im fishing woodlands in north yorkshire
on sunday and i was given the list of restrictions for there barbless hooks
max size 12 1 kg of groundbait
no boilies, bloodworm,no method feeder
5 pintsbait limitonly 1.5pints of carp
pellets,18ins hooklink on feeder rig.
floating pole must have 12ins of line
luncheon meat only. no cat food allowed.

K

Kevan Martin 2

Think yourself lucky Robert, try fishing Gold Valley!!!!

Robert Pearson

Reaction score
kevan i went to woodlands on sunday
i had 21LB 47LB won it i fished cockles /musseles the baliff weighed
us in ask me if i fished cockles/musseles
i said yes and guess what there banned
so i shown him the list i had for the rules and thes was not on he said he would
let me off this time and ill know
for next time i said what next time if its
not down on the list how do people no whats
banned and whats not.

Terry Dawson

Reaction score
u want to try fishing hopsticks in beverley,
no floating baits,floating poles,no paste,white mag only no coloured baits,no additives,all fish over 4lb to be wieghed and reliesed, whats the piont in fishing a match there?

D

Danny Lancaster

Wouldn't strict restrictions also restrict the vast amount of innovation in our sport?

I agree at international level there should and is a limit on the length of poles used etc.. but as far as tactics and baits are concerned we should leave this alone. Part of being successful in matches is to get "the edge" on your competitors and not just being lucky at the draw bag. I remember a few years ago a gentleman called Rob Hitchens produced his own paste bait and won 20 odd matches on the trot at Hayfield Lakes, to the point were he was eventually banned!! He went on to mass produce the stuff and has made a good living from it.

What I am saying is that if we put a stop to allowing people to experiment it will eventually bring this branch of our sport to a standstill.

D

Dave Beal

Dead simple this one How would you police it on a club match level us match secretay's have enough to do without this.

F

Frank Hanlon

I think it's great the so called 'top boys' demand bigger,lighter state of the art poles because as soon as something new comes out it pushes the price of their current poles right down and gives us a chance of buying them and I think that the gap is getting smaller in quality terms. Think back 2yrs ago when a pole priced ?1200 was out of most peoples reach and now you could pick it up for around 5-6 hundred so let them carry on trying to get the 'edge' and watch them prices tumble