Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What type of reel to complete all round float set - up????

I need some steering towards the best reel for my needs...

Excluding Centrepins as I dont have the budget for even a half decent one at the moment...

What do you recommend as a good allrounder to complete a light float outfit to cover some river trotting & small stillwater float fishing...the usual open faced fixed spool or a closed face reel of some sort???

I have read some great thoughts on closed face reels for float fishing but Ive no experience & havent a clue on which are good uns & bad uns???

I will be chasing Roach, Rudd & Perch & highly unlikely to be casting floats to the horizon anytime soon.

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Default Re: What type of reel to complete all round float set - up????

For all round fishing a straight forward open faced fixed spool reel in [say] 2500 size is the best choice IMO. Far more versatile than a closed face reel and any half decent one will come with a spare spool. Shimano,Daiwa,Shakespeare,Okuma all do good reels...exact model depends on your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by S-Kippy View Post
    For all round fishing a straight forward open faced fixed spool reel in [say] 2500 size is the best choice IMO. Far more versatile than a closed face reel and any half decent one will come with a spare spool. Shimano,Daiwa,Shakespeare,Okuma all do good reels...exact model depends on your budget.
    But those Abu closed face are so, so, sexy!

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

They are...the old ones anyway but a f/s is a better allrounder.

Shimano Catana 2500, decent all rounder at about £30.00

or if you can spend a bit more exage with fighting drag
    PaSC British by birth, English by the grace of God
    I got the devil in my blood,Telling' me what to do
    (And I'm all ears), Britain's premier bread angler

If you want a genuine alrounder get a standard (open faced) fixed spool reel. Unlike others here, I'd not even contemplate going less than a 3000 (Shimano) sized reel for any coarse fishing task. While there's a slight weight difference with the smaller reels, it's not enough to worry about. Most ranges of different sized reels actually have the same sized reel body, just the rotor and spool size varies (occasionally the handles are slightly different lengths too). You are better off with a spool of greater diameter. Line isn't so tightly coiled on a bigger diameter spool so it casts better and is less likely to coil up. It's also the case with Shimano reels that they do the shallow match spools (usually indicated by an S in the model code) on 3000/4000 sized reels. Therefore, actual line capacity can be the same or even less than the smaller reels.

Here are several examples of the above.
    Shimano Nexave
    Shimano Exage
    Shimano Super GT-RC
    Shimano Stradic
    Shimano Twin Power Ci4

Stradic, oh we used to dream of a Stradic, there were 48 of fishing in a shoe box in the middle of the road using one Black Prince
    PaSC British by birth, English by the grace of God
    I got the devil in my blood,Telling' me what to do
    (And I'm all ears), Britain's premier bread angler

Blog Entries

If you dont mind going "retro" have a look at a mitchell match-- iconic reel-- will do all you ask and maybe more.
    From around twenty five pounds upwards on e - bay depending on condition.

Quote Originally Posted by flightliner View Post
    If you dont mind going "retro" have a look at a mitchell match-- iconic reel-- will do all you ask and maybe more.
    From around twenty five pounds upwards on e - bay depending on condition.
    Retro would be a very attractive option for me.

Its funny...my Grandfather is in his seventies & enjoys using the lastest technologies at the bankside...I dont know how he does it on a pension, yet I have just arrived in my early thirties, and have a real liking for the older stuff.

However, I am not just as keen on some of the really old stuff....for example, I am not sold on cane rods as most people are. I have a beautiful Hardy Palkona fly rod (think Ive named it correctly)...everyone but me seems to be in love with it, yet I find my little Hardy Glass (bought in 2010) to be much more enjoyable to use. And I used to have an 11 ft allcocks cane float rod that I bought in a professionally restored state....an old friend who was a fanatical river trotter, borrowed it & fell in love with it immediately....yet I found it quite 'dead' to the point that I came to really dislike it. Needless to say I gave it to him for a Christamas present after he had a tough year. He still uses it for everything from waggler fishing on the lakes & trotting for coarse fish & trout.

Anyway, Im getting off track here. I used to have a few ancient mitchell reels as a child & they coped with Pike to 24 ish lbs so I would be happy with that maker.

Thankyou all for your help so far. I appreciate you all taking the time to write a few comments.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast