Rod and Reel

tjsc1

Reaction score
Hi All
Joined this morning, introduced myself on the 'other' thread.....now I'm afraid I could do with a bit of advice from all you knowledgable people out there in FM land.
Basically I need to buy some gear......but what gear!!
I used to fish years ago, not very good, but fish I did. Back then I had Maver match rod and a Shimano reel (cant remember which model though).
I want to fish for Chub, Breem, Tench, Rudd etc, not going down the carp route. I want to 'float' fish, so I thinking of a Waggler rod (?). Reading on here about 'Stalker' rods, pellett/waggler, I am truely lost. Make/recommendations. Next a Reel, I remember the spool was 2500/3000 but again make/recommendations.
Think thats enough to be getting on with. Sorry to disturbe your Saturday evening but here is one frustrated angler who would really appreciate your help/advice.

red creel

Reaction score
The definitions re float rods have changed in recent years, in days of old your bog standard match rod was all that was required.For the species you mention look for float rods that are suitable for silverfish/general trotting work.The only exception to that rule was if you were going to floatfish for big tench where a specimen float rod might be more useful.Pellet waggler rods are generally a lot shorter and more powerfull than trotting rods and are designed primarily for carp on commercial fisheries.Stalker rods are shorter still and are very powerfull rods usually used for hit and hold tactics when targetting specimen carp in the margins or confined swims.

Reels are somewhat easier and a 2500/3000 sized reel is perfect for floatfishing

As for brands it all depends on your budget.

---------- Post added at 12:30 ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 ----------

Forgot to add welcome to FM.

freebird7

Reaction score
If your on a Budget the Drennan Red range has some nice gear. The red float reel is less then £20 but still feels like it would give yo a few years good service.

tjsc1

Reaction score
Sorry guys, should have said about money. Not rich but want as good gear as I can.......
As said above it will be for 'silver fish' float fishing. 4-5lbs with hopefully on a good day a little more
been looking around myself and come up with........what do you think
Shakespear Mach 3 xt match rod and reel.
Drennan matchpro ultralight.
or 'Shimano exage around 2500 3000???
As I said, I'm a bit lost really
Appreciate help/advice

just been googling again....what about the Drennan series 7 13ft silver fish float rod?? Would that be ok for fishing on the River Stour (with my mate)/club lakes??

Terry

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sorry guys, should have said about money. Not rich but want as good gear as I can.......
As said above it will be for 'silver fish' float fishing. 4-5lbs with hopefully on a good day a little more
been looking around myself and come up with........what do you think
Shakespear Mach 3 xt match rod and reel.
Drennan matchpro ultralight.
or 'Shimano exage around 2500 3000???
As I said, I'm a bit lost really
Appreciate help/advice

just been googling again....what about the Drennan series 7 13ft silver fish float rod?? Would that be ok for fishing on the River Stour (with my mate)/club lakes??

Terry

Welcome to the forum mate,
You will not go far wrong with the Drennan float rod, by all accounts it is a superb rod! I use the Preston Excel float rod which are superb but it depends what you want to spend, just keep away from the really cheap and nasty stuff and you will not go far wrong with today's modern tackle.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Spend a little extra and make sure its a carbon rod , 30-40 they are so light these days they are a pleasure to use.

watatoad

Reaction score
You wont go far wrong with the Shakespeare Mach 3 xt I personally prefer the front drag as its as smooth as silk.

Rods I have both the rods you mention and would say they may be a little too light for reasonable Tench and Bream or even a good Chub sure they will handle them but you may find it a bit of effort.

A better rod for your rather general purpose requirements would be the Drennan Match Pro its just slightly heavier than the ultralight and I think you are likely to prefer it.

blounty65

Reaction score
hi and welcome to fm. my float rod is a 13" maver abyss and its a cracking piece of kit and ive had some good carp on it

nocatch

Reaction score
Watatoad has just beaten me to it - i suggest going with what he said!

GL & tight lines,

Mike

tjsc1

Reaction score
Hi All
Been a while, but have been busy buying gear when not working!!
Ended up with a Drennan series 7 'silverfish' rod. Bought an oldish Michell 440a but am going to buy a Drennan 3000FD as well. Also been buying everything else to make it all work 'together'. Bought the nets etc. Now I am on the lookout for a decent chair so I can have a snooze!! Looking at the Korum accessory chair?? Joined a local club, had a look at a couple of their fisheries and they look good. Oh, have to buy an umbrella as well. Finally, got my EA licence. Looking good!!
Terry