What Rod ? What Reel ? Im a Newbie

morpheus

Reaction score
Hi All,
Im a total newbie, looking for advise on what rod and reel i should be starting off with. There are so many to choose from its mental lol:eek:

Any help really would be appreciated

Thanks

barbelboi

Reaction score
Hi Morph, first you need to advise as to your budget - also the species this tackle will be aimed at.
Jerry

sumtime

Reaction score
Like most of us olduns, we started out with a 13ft float rod (the first rod
I used was a five and a half foot plastic kid's rod and a yo-yo for a reel until I hooked into a gudgeon, my first ever fish).

If I was you I'd go around some venues and chat to anglers who don't look too busy :) some of them won't give you the time of day, others enjoy helping their fellow man out.

You don't have to spend loads of dosh to enjoy this game. I use my cheaper rods and reels a lot more than the dear stuff.

morpheus

Reaction score
Thanks for the responce back guys,
budget between 100 - 150
I have never fished before so dont want to run before i can walk.
Course fishing is what i want to do i beleive
Im in Coventry and Thinking of commercials and maybe rivers

Cheers
Morph

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The list is endless!

Shakespeare Mach3, Drennan Series 7, Shimano Hyperloop, Maver Reactorlite, are all good rods in varying lengths. If you are going to fish commies and rivers then go for 13ft.

Shakespeare Sigma and Agility, Shimano Nexave and Hyperloop, Drennan Series 7 and FD are all good reels and a 3000 (or 30) size in combination with any of the above rods will fit your budget.

I have recently acquired the Drennan 3000FD and the concept is an interesting one. It has 3 spools, all aluminium, and they are each slightly different diameters and take exactly 100m of a set diameter of line. This does away with buying bulk spools and putting 300m of line on a reel and 240m of it never seeing the light of day!

markv

Reaction score
The problem mate is that there are just too many choices and styles of angling/circumstances.

I'd say, for your budget, buy some decent kit that doesn't cost much and then you can have a couple of rods/reels for that budget.

Say Shakespeare Mach1 or poss Mach 2 stuff. I have some experience of these and they are ok and great for the money. Will do you fine to start.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking a better rod or reel will make you a better angler, it really won't. As long as it does the job and is not totally unsuitable for what you're tying to do, other things are more important, like what you do with it.

An Avon twin tip rod would cover many, many situations you may encounter on commercials and rivers. Maybe add a 12' or 13' float rod to that and you're well sorted for quite a while i'd say.

One thing I will say is that, there are many things you will want to buy besides a rod and reel, if you keep up this fishing mullarkey :eek:, honestly. There will be more expense.

Hope you keep with it and enjoy it cos it really is bloomin brilliant.

Can totally understand the confusion, too much info about.

Keep things as simple as you can.

Regards

Mark

tonybull

Reaction score
Thanks for the responce back guys,
budget between 100 - 150
I have never fished before so dont want to run before i can walk.
Course fishing is what i want to do i beleive

Im in Coventry and Thinking of commercials and maybe rivers

Cheers
Morph

Join a local club that puts on matches and get involved that way. You can learn so much off match anglers.

Wilko

Reaction score
The shakespeare Mach series is good gear, very underated and overlooked especially by the gear snobs (their loss). I've got a 13ft Mach 3 that I use for practically all of my stillwater float fishing, excellent stuff.
I would say the reel is more important and that it's worth spending some money on a decent 3000 size, as it is the part of the system that must be totally reliable; you can land a fish on a broken rod but it's unlikely on a broken or seized reel, it will help with casting, the drag will be smoother and more reliable, it will probably be better proportioned in the body, be lighter and have a smoother bail arm and roller as well as include a spare spool as standard, again Shakespeare is well worth a look. I have a Spro Red arc that I would highly recommend if you should come across one for a fair price.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The new Drennan FD series of reels are quality for around £50 and come with three different size aluminium spools that each take exactly 100m of line. Great idea that does away with buying bulk spools of mono and they are ideal for general mixed float and feeder fishing.