drennan or preston

RAY TOWNLEY

Reaction score
Have used a Drennan 13' power carp float rod for some time...then alternate with a garbolino 10' carp float rod not really man enough (or it might be me! to get larger carp out of difficult spots, do not like to haul for sake of the fish, got very fussy and concerned as I get older)....getting on a bit in years and thought about a lightweight say 11' rod as an all rounder that is capable of handling 10-15lb carp but also to go after crusians,nice roach etc. Prestons or Drennan or ? have limited budget .....anyone been in the same situation? and whats the answer.

C

chefster

You,re "limited" budget must be pretty high-if you,re thinking about Preston-Why does it have to be one of these 2 choices?

jimlad

Reaction score
I can at least narrow down your search if its drennan - the only one they do at 11ft for carp (I believe) is the series 7 puddle chuckers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Have a look at Shakespeare Agility or Mach3, then there are the Korum ranges, Middy The Works and, of course as you mentioned, Drennan. The 10 and 11ft 2-piece rods are the new flavour of the month and there are loads out there at the right price.

Last edited:

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Garbolino Rocket Waggler and Maver Abyss are another couple of rods at 11ft that will handle carp.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Keep away from the Middy Brand mate, an ex of mine works for them and apart from the terminal tackle most of their hardware is of a poor standard...Get saving and get yourself a Preston Excel! Only kidding, the Maver and cheaper Drennan rods are more than enough for what you need :)

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Keep away from the Middy Brand mate, an ex of mine works for them and apart from the terminal tackle most of their hardware is of a poor standard...Get saving and get yourself a Preston Excel! Only kidding, the Maver and cheaper Drennan rods are more than enough for what you need :)

Well, rather than rely on what an ex of yours says why don't you check with someone who uses one? I have been using a Middy feeder rod since March and landed carp to 10lb+ on it and it's just fine. Experience is better than hearsay (even if it was pillow-talk) :D

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well, rather than rely on what an ex of yours says why don't you check with someone who uses one? I have been using a Middy feeder rod since March and landed carp to 10lb+ on it and it's just fine. Experience is better than hearsay (even if it was pillow-talk) :D

Cheap carbon, cheap fittings....overpriced to boot, worth about a fiver!!

RAY TOWNLEY

Reaction score
Thanks to all...have decided to go the Korum CS 11' ...will report what conclusions after the testing ! Soon as I can escape to a " PUDDLE"
Cheers, most helpful!