Fishing in the River Alt

fishsausage

Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry to dive right in and ask for help but is anyone able to tell me am I able to fish in the river Alt near Formby with a standard license or am I likely to get a slap on the wrist? As far as I can tell it's the closest place I can get to as I don't drive.

Thanks in advance.

kenpm

Reaction score
Most of the Alt is free fishing but is closed until June 16th.You could fish for sea fish like Flounder now in the tidal area near Hightown with a decent strong feeder rod or a Carp rod.
The rest of the river is still recovering from a pollution but there are fish like Chub and Roach to be caught from Maghull out towards Formby.

fishsausage

Reaction score
Brilliant I'll give that a try then, it's really easy for me to get to and I have a few friends in the area. Thanks very much.

fishsausage

Reaction score
Do I need an SDAA membership to use the River Crossens as well?

June seems pretty far away I am planning on making my learning ground Birkenhead Park or Rosemary Wood until I'm able to use the rivers.

sumtime

Reaction score
There's a petrol station just a few hundred yards from the Crossens where you can obtain a day ticket, some good size perch in the river. Rosemary wood is a decent fishery and then there's canal fishing at the end of New Cut Lane.