Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Question Greater Manchester

Hello.
    I have NEVER been fishing but my 11-year-old grandson is really keen to try it.
    Obviously I don't want to buy loads of gear in case it turns out that he doesn't enjoy it so...PLEASE can anyone point me toward somewhere in or near Rochdale/Bury/Bolton/Manchester/Oldham where we can rent/borrow 2 rods & nets etc. and "have a go"?
    Thanks In Advance
    Paul

Default Re: Greater Manchester

How about a 'lad and grandad' sesion with Andy Ormrod at Improve Your Fishing?

Andy is a qualified coach and will teach your grandson/you the skills to get going and he'll provide all the tackle bait etc.

He tends to use fisheries around Bolton and the Northwest.

My son had a day coaching session with him and caught roach, bream, tench, carp and in the autumn he had a piking session and caught and handled his first pike.

Andy is a top bloke and will tailor the session to your needs (he works with special needs kids from various institutions too).
    PaSC Junior Development Officer ><((((°>

When i started fishing about 8 years ago i bought a set for i think £20 from Argos which came with the rod, reel, and all the bits you will need to start.

This might be worth buying as it's nice and cheap

Mr Cholmondeley-Corker (PaSC) - Thanks for the suggestion but - £89 for half a day? You should know that people in the comedy business can't afford that kind of money!

hammer_jamie - £20 is a bit closer but what I'm looking for is a friendly place where I can rent the stuff and a friendly member of staff who'll say 'OK...this goes here and this goes there. Now put a worm on the sharp bit and this is how you chuck it in the water

That's fair enough but I can't see it coming cheap, Simple float and few shots is easy enough to do why don't you use YouTube and learn yourself?

Might be a bit further than you wanted to travel but its all free.
    The Canal and River Trust are holding a "Water Week" 25th to 31st October at Bootle and Burscough on the Leeds and Liverpool canal including fishing tuition and tackle provided.
    www.canalrivertrust.org.uk for details.

Contact Ramsbottom Angling Assosiation, they have a couple of qualified trainers for their junior section.