rod rests, pods?

nava

Reaction score
I've only been fishing for about 8 months now and most of it has been on the canal where I have tended to just hold the rod or rest it on the ground whilst waiting for a bite. I want to start fishing on some of the commercial waters and ponds local to me so I am wondering what would be best to suit me.

I did have a butterfly rest but think I threw it out when I moved house but wasn't over keen on it to be honest it seemed a bit clumsy.

Any suggestions would be great!!

associatedmatt

Reaction score
depends on the bank . if its soft banksticks or if its rock hard i use a pod or if im feeder fishing i will use a feeder arm attached to my chair and a rear rest .

Pods are easier if fishing carp type setup but when im on a comercial feeder fishing i will use my chair with a feeder arm on .

associatedmatt

Reaction score
You are meant to be holding in your hand so can strike instantly , but if want to rest get a bankstick to support front and rest but on your thigh or lap and position you chair what suits you best .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I'd suggest a couple of bank sticks a rod rest on the front and a butt rest on the back

I would hold the rod whilst fishing and use the rod rests to suuport the rod when baiting the hook or having a break from fishing , stops you standing on the rod if you put it on the ground

You could use the front rest whilst holding the rod handle if you want

chrissh

Reaction score
I use 2 carbon bank sticks with a guru front feeder rest & guru none slip butt rest just in case you get a fast run it help the rod stays in the rest … also have 2 stainless steel bank sticks which I keep in the car for summer if the ground is too hard to get the carbon sticks in the stainless sticks can be knocked in with a mallet plus if your fishing on a platform the stainless will fit stage stands

have a look at NGT bank stainless sticks and stage stans

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Sticks for soft or uneven banks as and when, but mainly in summer. For those occasions when flat, hard banks in winter, or those with boards (ugh!) are the order of the day I use a very neat, old Fox pod which has more than enough adjustment for my needs. I can arrive on the bank and begin fishing without the slightest disturbance because of this little beauty! Very quick and easy to put up (without a sound!) and best of all does away with the dreaded 'mallet' which, IMHO has no place on a fishing bank, but then I'm fishing for decent roach in clear, still water where vibration of any sort is an absolute no-no.

Mallets = vibration that travels through the bank into the water (I've watched the water 'quiver' when watching folk use one) and in my book the one thing fish don't need is vibration.............(The 'lateral line' along the whole length of the fishes body picks up the vibration!)

We all see things in different ways, though................................

ps Gone off subject slightly, so apologies to the OP....

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
I have used both but find bank sticks better and now only use those.
With pods you are more or less restricted to having the rods pointing straight out in front with bank sticks you can have the rods pointing in any direction.

iain t

Reaction score
I usually just use i long bank stick but i 99.8% fish rivers. If i do enter a commie i have 2 little lightweight tripod stands, cost around £13 for both. You can find them on Ebay. Packs up small Plus the adjustable legs are spiked so you can push them into the ground or wood.