Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Crayfish, hooks and the removal thereof..

On a recent canal trip I managed to bag myself a rather nice specimin of crustacean, nasty looking little ****** with mean pincers and an attitude to match. Having never seen a crayfish up close before and knowing little of their anatomy I fond myself with a small conundrum, how the hell do I unhook the thing?

I looked at the line and followed it carefully only to find that it disappeared into what can only be decsribed as some sort of bilogocal portcullis, I was stumped!

Aha! I know, I'll get my disgorger and thread it down the line (avoiding all pincery type things) hoping to dislodge the hook... no chance, I hit hard shell and the disgorger was going nowhere... completely stumped I decided the best thing to do was cut the line as close to the (mouth?) as possible and chuck it back job done.

Now I'm a sensitive soul and the thought of a creature, even one as ugly as this, swimming roung with a hook stuck in its digestive tract concerns me. I know it can happen when a hooklength snaps but in this case I had an opportunity to remove it but couldn't.

What is the general theory on dealing with such creatures, is there a way to remove the hook or is it really a case of cut the line and chuck it back in?

Default Re: Crayfish, hooks and the removal thereof..

if this crayfish had red claws it was a signal crayfish. the way to deal with them is stamp on them.. it is illegal to return them to the water.....

Like smudger says, you don't remove hooks from crayfish, you remove crayfish from hooks. (as long as they are signals of course)

Sticking a knife through its head does the job and is considered humane. Also it doesn't reduce the beasty to mush which often happens if you just stamp on them. They're good eating if you get enough of them.
    Ramblings about my attempts to catch fish and the search for the perfect sausage can be found at www.fishingforluckies.com

Illegal to put them back? I didn't return it, it escaped... honest m'lud: -(

Note to self, get a knife to take along next time

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Bank stick across the head will do if you can't find a knife - a swift sharp wallop.

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

They are the very devils to kill. I have stamped them to mush, kicked the bits into the margins and watch them crawl off.

Thank god I have never seen one let alone had the misfortune to hook one then

I have always found the boot method of unhooking works.

Blog Entries

Never caught a Crayfish but I did catch a Terrapin 3yrs ago on an expander pellet.
    Boy do they take some dispatching.

Quote Originally Posted by rayner View Post
    Never caught a Crayfish but I did catch a Terrapin 3yrs ago on an expander pellet.
    Boy do they take some dispatching.
    i watched one of them about a foot diameter swiming in the margins of a local reservoir not a pretty thing..........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast